1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence limit defintion proof

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If ##X=(x_n)## is a positive sequence which converges to ##x##, then ##(\sqrt {x_n})## converges to ##\sqrt x.##

2. The attempt at a solution

I was given a hint: ##\sqrt x_n -\sqrt x = \frac{x_n-x}{\sqrt x_n +\sqrt x}.##

How can I obtain that hint if it were never given to me?

My attempt:

We are given that ##\lim x_n=x.## thus given ##\epsilon>0## there exists an ##N## such that ##|x_n−x|<\epsilon## for all ##n\ge N.##

For ##\lim \sqrt {x_n}=\sqrt x##, given any ##\epsilon>0## there is an ##N## such that ##|\sqrt x_n -\sqrt x|<\epsilon##, for all ##n\ge N## [tex]|\sqrt{x_n} -\sqrt{x}|=\frac{|x_n-x|}{|\sqrt{x_n} +\sqrt{x}|} ...[/tex]

How can I finish this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Remember first that your two limit definitions (in your two last lines), one for each sequence does NOT require that the "epsilon" and "N" included are the same quantities in each line. Agreed?

Secondly, in your last line, you have a fraction. Please say what we can estimate about its magnitude, with reference to the definition you set up in your first line.

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3
    I did not understand what you meant. Can you elaborate further, please?

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Recognize that ##a-b = (\sqrt{a})^2 - (\sqrt{b})^2##.

It would help if you'd identify what exactly you didn't understand. Right now, it just seems like you read what arildno wrote, didn't really think much about it, and simply said "I don't get it."

6. Sep 30, 2013 #5
    I did not understand what he meant. Which is why I need further elaboration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted