Sequence limit - real analysis

In summary, the attempt at a solution involves proving that the sequence (x_n) = ((a^n+b^n)^{1/n}) converges to b, for 0 < a < b. The approach suggested is to take bn outside and then use the limit definition to prove convergence.
antiemptyv

Homework Statement

Prove that the sequence [tex](x_n) = ((a^n+b^n)^{1/n})[/tex] converges to [tex]b[/tex], for 0 < a < b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't dealt with any sequences with [tex]n[/tex]'s in the exponent, but I assume I'll have to use logarithms at some point to get at them? Can someone start me off in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The whole idea is that a introduces an increasingly insignificant error. Therefore, differential calculus should be applicable. Personally, I would try a differential approximation.

Last edited:
here's a follow-up attempt

What about something like [tex]|(a^n+b^n)^{1/n}-b| < (2b^n)^{1/n}-b < 2^{1/n} < 2^{1/\epsilon}[/tex] when [tex]n > \epsilon[/tex]?

Why is [itex](2b^n)^{1/n} - b < 2^{1/n}[/itex]?

And more importantly, why would [itex]|(a^n + b^n)^{1/n} - b| < 2^{1/\epsilon}[/itex] be helpful?

Last edited:
i think i meant...

[tex](2b^n)^{1/n}- b = 2^{1/n}b - b < 2^{1/n}b[/tex]

sorry, i think it's just because it's late.

See the new question I added.

if [tex]n>\epsilon[/tex], then [tex]\frac{1}{n} < \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex], and [tex]2^{\frac{1}{n}} < 2^{\frac{1}{\epsilon}} [/tex]

Last edited:
antiemptyv said:
if [tex]n>\epsilon[/tex], then [tex]\frac{1}{n} < \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex], and [tex]2^{\frac{1}{n}} < 2^{\frac{1}{\epsilon}} [/tex]

Well, and how can you go from there? :rolleyes:

Remember that:
[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow + \infty} 2 ^ {\frac{1}{\epsilon}} = 1[/tex], not 0.

antiemptyv said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the sequence [tex](x_n) = ((a^n+b^n)^{1/n})[/tex] converges to [tex]b[/tex], for 0 < a < b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't dealt with any sequences with [tex]n[/tex]'s in the exponent, but I assume I'll have to use logarithms at some point to get at them? Can someone start me off in the right direction?

How about taking bn outside, like this:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left\{ b ^ n \left[ \left( \frac{a}{b} \right) ^ n + 1 \right] \right\} ^ \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Can you go from here? :)

1. What is a sequence limit in real analysis?

A sequence limit in real analysis is a value that a sequence of numbers approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is often denoted by the notation limn→∞ an and is used to describe the behavior of a sequence as n approaches infinity.

2. How is a sequence limit calculated?

A sequence limit can be calculated by finding the value that the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to as n approaches infinity. This can be done by taking the limit of the sequence as n goes to infinity or by finding the limit of the function that generates the sequence.

3. What is the importance of sequence limits in real analysis?

Sequence limits are important in real analysis because they help us understand the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases. They also allow us to make predictions about the convergence or divergence of a sequence and are used in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. This is because the limit of a sequence is a unique value that the terms in the sequence approach as n approaches infinity. If a sequence has more than one limit, it is considered to be divergent.

5. How is a sequence limit related to the concept of convergence?

A sequence limit is closely related to the concept of convergence. A sequence is said to be convergent if it has a limit, meaning that the terms in the sequence approach a specific value as n approaches infinity. If a sequence does not have a limit, it is considered to be divergent and does not converge.