1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sequences converge or diverge?

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to see if these sequences converge or diverge:

1) [tex] a_n = ncosn\pi[/tex]

2) [tex]{ 0,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,... }[/tex]

3) [tex]a_n = \frac{1 . 3 . 5 . ... (2n - 1)}{n!}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) [tex]]cosn\pi = -1[/itex] so [itex]a_n \to -\infty[/tex]?

2) What is this. where is the n?

3) Not sure

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) are you sure cos(n*pi)=-1 always? What's cos(0) or cos(2*pi)?

2) There is no n, it's a pattern sequence.

3) What convergence/divergence tests have you thought of applying to this? Have you gotten anywhere with it? The last course I took that involved proving convergence/divergence was 3 years ago...so I don't remember every test that could be applied.

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't consider an->(-infinity) to be convergent. For 2) it appears to be a sequence with an infinite number of 0's and 1's in it. I wouldn't be distracted by trying to figure out a pattern. Who know's what in the '...'? It could be '0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0' forever. Just assume alternating 1's and 0's continue infinitely. What about convergence? For 3) you can apply a ratio test to a sequence. Each additional factor in the numerator is roughly twice the size of the corresponding factor the denominator. What's you gut feeling?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook