1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences in lp spaces (Functional Analysis)

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Sequences in lp spaces... (Functional Analysis)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a sequence which converges to zero but is not in any lp space where 1<=p<infinity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I strongly suspect 1/ln(n+1) is a solution.

Since ln(n+1) -> infinity as n -> infinity, we have 1/ln(n+1) -> 0 as n-> infinity.

I attempted using the integration test to show that partial sums for the sequence (1/ln(n+1))^p do not converge, but integrating 1/ln(n) became a bit problematic!

Attempt two was to show that each successive term in the sequence {(1/ln(n+1))^p} is larger than each successive term in some tail of the harmonic sequence.

i.e. There exists m such that
    (1/ln(2))^p >= 1/(m+0) or m >= (ln(2))^p
    (1/ln(3))^p >= 1/(m+1) or m >= (ln(3))^p - 1
    (1/ln(4))^p >= 1/(m+2) or m >= (ln(4))^p - 2
    In general for such an m to exist, m >= (ln(x+2))^p - x

And therefore I need to show that this right hand side is bounded above. I suspect this is true, and with a lot of hand waving can convince myself that the "ln" part of the RHS is "stronger" than the "^p" part and thus (ln(x+2))^p will eventually "slow down enough" so as to be less than x for large enough values of x.

But my log work leaves a little to be desired and I can't even prove there is a solution to the equation (ln(x+2))^p = x.

Any help much appreciated!

Best regards,
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Never mind. :x
  4. Mar 2, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a sweet test when it comes to series with logarithm in the argument. It says if a sequence a_n is decreasing and non-negative, then the series of a_n converges if and only if the series of 2^n*a_{2^n} does.

So here,

and so

[tex]2^na_{2^n} = \frac{2^n}{n^p\ln(2)^p}[/tex]

It's called the Cauchy condensation test: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_condensation_test
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    That IS sweet!

A gazillion thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?