Sequences ratio test, intro to real analysis

In summary, the given sequence X = (xn) is not a bounded sequence and therefore not convergent, as shown by using the definition of convergence and choosing epsilon = (L-1)/2 to demonstrate that the sequence increases at least as fast as a power series with a ratio greater than 1.
Geekster

Homework Statement

Let X = (xn) be a sequence of positive real numbers such that lim(xn+1 / xn) = L > 1.

Show that X is not a bounded sqeuence and hence is not convergent.

Homework Equations

Definition of convergence states that for every epsilon > 0 there exist some natural number K such that for all n > = K, |xn - x| < epsilon, then the squence converges to x.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a proof so there really isn't too much to say here. I have looked at the definition of convergence and I see that I can get something like xn+1 < xn(L+e) where e is epsilon, but I do not see any way to produce an upper bound from that. I also know that the previous statement is true for all e, but that still does not seem to get me anywhere. I know I need to use the fact that L > 1, but I don't see how at this point.

Any hints, subtle or not, are welcome.

Thanks,

The Geekster

Physics news on Phys.org
Use epsilon=(L-1)/2. That means for some N, for all n>N. x_n+1>((L+1)/2)*x_n. (L+1)/2>1. So for n>N x_n increases at least as fast as a power series with a ratio > 1.

1. What is the Sequences Ratio Test?

The Sequences Ratio Test is a method used in real analysis to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the sequence. If the limit is less than 1, then the sequence converges. If the limit is greater than 1, then the sequence diverges.

2. How is the Sequences Ratio Test used in real analysis?

The Sequences Ratio Test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence. It is a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of sequences and can help determine the limit of a sequence as well as its rate of convergence or divergence.

3. What is the purpose of the Sequences Ratio Test?

The purpose of the Sequences Ratio Test is to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence. This information can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the sequence and to better understand its properties.

4. How is the Sequences Ratio Test different from the Divergence Test?

The Sequences Ratio Test and the Divergence Test are two different methods used in real analysis to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence. The main difference is that the Divergence Test only looks at the limit of the sequence itself, while the Sequences Ratio Test looks at the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the sequence.

5. Can the Sequences Ratio Test be used on any type of sequence?

The Sequences Ratio Test can be used on most types of sequences, as long as the terms of the sequence are non-zero. However, it is not applicable to all sequences. For example, it is not useful for sequences with alternating signs or sequences with terms that approach 0 at a faster rate than a geometric sequence.