1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences ratio test, intro to real analysis

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X = (xn) be a sequence of positive real numbers such that lim(xn+1 / xn) = L > 1.

Show that X is not a bounded sqeuence and hence is not convergent.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of convergence states that for every epsilon > 0 there exist some natural number K such that for all n > = K, |xn - x| < epsilon, then the squence converges to x.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is a proof so there really isn't too much to say here. I have looked at the definition of convergence and I see that I can get something like xn+1 < xn(L+e) where e is epsilon, but I do not see any way to produce an upper bound from that. I also know that the previous statement is true for all e, but that still does not seem to get me anywhere. I know I need to use the fact that L > 1, but I don't see how at this point.

Any hints, subtle or not, are welcome.

The Geekster
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use epsilon=(L-1)/2. That means for some N, for all n>N. x_n+1>((L+1)/2)*x_n. (L+1)/2>1. So for n>N x_n increases at least as fast as a power series with a ratio > 1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?