1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series and Parallel Connections

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm a little confused, in a series and parallel circuit, does it make sense if i say that the current through 2 separate resistors is the same but the potential difference is different and also is the amount of potential energy lost?? It's this that's getting me confused with the concept..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The current through two series components is the same. The voltage across two parallel components is the same.

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3
    But for the series, does that mean that the voltage is the same for both resistances?
    And for the parallel one, if the voltage is the same, does that make the current equal as well?

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4
    No and no. If you combine the two rules mentioned by Berkeman with ohms law you can work out what the voltages are for series resistances with a known total voltage across them, or you can work out the currents for parallel resistances with a known total current going through them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook