Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series Expansion of 1/Polynomial

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1

Hepth

Gold Member

Is there a simple way to series expand a function of the form
    $$
    \frac{1}{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n}
    $$
    about the point ##x=0##, such that it can be expressed as another sum ##\sum_n c_n x^n##?

I tried doing it by taylor expansion but I end up with a sum of sums of products of sums :) and its been too long for me to remember a lot of the more advanced simplifications.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, I'd try... $$\sum_{n=0}^\infty b_nx^n = \frac{1}{\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n}\\
    \implies \left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty b_nx^n\right)\left(\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n\right)=1\\
    \implies \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left( \sum_{k=0}^n b_ka_{n-k}\right)x^n = 1\\
    \implies \sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n x^n = 1$$... you know what the convolution values are: ##c_0=1, c_{n>0}=0##

If you also know all the ##a_n## you can find the corresponding ##b_n##
    If you are lucky, there's a pattern.

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3

Hepth

Gold Member

Thanks!

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Glad you like it - I figured you'd kinda got as far as line 3 or I'd have forced you to work it out yourself :)

Note: I didn;t use your notation - so where you wanted ##\small{c_n}##'s I gave you ##\small{b_n}##'s

If the series converges, then it gets easier...
    i.e. In the special case where ##a_n=a## is a constant with ##n##, and ##|x|<1##, then the RHS of line #1 converges to ##(1-x)/a## making ##b_0=1/a,\; b_1=-1/a,\; b_{n>1}=0##

In general - the series will have a radius of convergence depending on the value of x (and the series). In physics it is common practice to use the first 2-3 terms only, as an approximation.

Enjoy.

6. Feb 21, 2014 #5

Hepth

Gold Member

I just needed a general approach other than taking a taylor expansion. It IS physics actually, and what I really have are double summations in both the numerator and denominator over two variables that go to arbitrary order.

So

$$ \sum_{ij} c_{ij} x^i y^j = \frac{\sum_{nm} a_{nm} x^n y^m}{\sum_{kl} b_{kl} x^k y^l} $$

And I wanted to find the c's. I know the anm and bkl to any order I really want.

7. Feb 21, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you keep getting double summations like that you may want to consider if you can get where you want more easily through matrix algebra.

i.e. if ##\vec x## and ##\vec y## are column vectors where the nth element is ##x^{n-1}## and ##y^{n-1}## respectively, then we can make a matrix ##\text{A}## of the coefficients so that: $$\vec y^t A x = \sum_{j=1}^N y^{j-1} \sum_{i=1}^N a_{ij}x^{i-1}$$... you want the powers to start at 0 right?

Then the problem looks like -
    ... given the following:$$\vec y^t \text{C}\vec x = \frac{\vec y^t\text A \vec x}{\vec y^t \text{B} \vec x}$$... express C in terms of A and B.

... but I don't know the problem you are trying to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook