1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series solution up to a term, power series

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    consider the initial value problem (1-x)y,,+xy,-2y=0 find the series solution up to the term with x6

2. Relevant equations
    (1-x)y,,+xy,-2y=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    assuming the answer has the form [itex]\Sigma[/itex]anxn
    that gives y,,=[itex]\Sigma[/itex]nanxn-1 and y,,=[itex]\Sigma[/itex]n(n-1)anxn-2 then plugging these back in and getting rid of the xn-2 and xn-1 you get the equation [itex]\Sigma[/itex](n+2)(n+1)an+2xn-[itex]\Sigma[/itex]n(n+1)an+1xn+[itex]\Sigma[/itex]nanxn-2[itex]\Sigma[/itex]anxn so what I'm wondering is how do you replace the an+1 with an an so you can solve for an+2

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi dp182! :smile:
    just subtract 1 from everything :wink:

(eg ∑an+1xn = ∑anxn-1)

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You don't. The recurrence relation involves an, an+1, and an+2. There's nothing wrong with that.

5. Jul 2, 2011 #4
    It makes sense that the recurrence relation for a_n+2 involves a_n+1 and a_n. It would require you to define a_0 and a_1 and Second order differential equations require two boundary/initial conditions for a solution.

6. Jul 2, 2011 #5
    So If I solve for an+2 I get an+2=n(n+1)an+1+an(2-n)/(n+2)(n+1) so to get my terms up to x6 I will just input values of n, so my series will be in terms of a0and a1?

7. Jul 2, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, but you made an algebra error solving for an+2 (or omitted very needed parentheses).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook