1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of functions that are eventually zero

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    The problem asks whether the set F of all functions from Z+ into {0,1} that are "eventually zero" is countable or uncountable.

In my proof, I claimed countable. By definition, associated with each function f in F, there is a positive integer N such that f(n)=0 for n≥N. I took N' to be the largest of these N's. Hence, for each f in F, f(n)=0 for all n≥N'. Then, I defined a function g: F -> {0,1}N'-1 by

g({(1,x1),....,(N'-1,xN'-1), (N',0),(N'+1,0)....}) = (x1,......,xN'-1)​

[Note: I know there is a simplier way to denote elements in F]

I then proved that this is a bijection. Since the range is a finite product of countable sets, it is countable. It follows that F is indeed countable.

Looking back at my proof, I feel that I may have made an error in picking N'. Cannot I not just construct a function that sends 1 through, say, N'+1 to 1 and the rest to zero? In other words, what (if anything) allows me to pick such an N'?

My proof may be correct. That is, I may be second guessing myself.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What about f(n)=1 for all n in Z+?
    Or g(n)=1 for odd n, g(n)=0 for even n?

If that N(f) would exist for all f in F, F would be countable. However, you would need a different proof:
    "The largest N" does not have to exist in infinite subsets of the natural numbers.

If that N' would exist, F would be finite.

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    Sorry. I posted the question wrong. The problem asks whether the set F of all functions from Z+ into {0,1} that are eventually zero is countable or uncountable.

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't choose a largest N' at all. Each function has a different N, no reason they should be bounded. Take the set of all functions such that f(n)=0 for n≥N. That's countable (in fact, it's finite). Now think about forming a union of sets.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    I knew that picking N' was wrong! :frown: It didn't sit right with me. What about this.

Let AN be the set of all functions such that f(n)=0 for n≥N. For THIS set, I can construct a bijective correspondence between AN and {0,1}N-1 by defining g: AN->{0,1}N-1 by
    g({(1,x1),....,(N-1,xN-1), (N,0),(N+1,0)....}) = (x1,......,xN-1).
    Hence AN is countable for each N.
    Taking Z+ as our index set. The union of all AN for each NεZ+ is the countable union of countable sets ....

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that would do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook