Set of functions that are eventually zero

In summary: You have shown that each AN is countable and then used the fact that the countable union of countable sets is countable to conclude that the union of all AN is countable. This proves that the set F of all functions from Z+ into {0,1} that are eventually zero is countable.
jmjlt88
The problem asks whether the set F of all functions from Z+ into {0,1} that are "eventually zero" is countable or uncountable.

In my proof, I claimed countable. By definition, associated with each function f in F, there is a positive integer N such that f(n)=0 for n≥N. I took N' to be the largest of these N's. Hence, for each f in F, f(n)=0 for all n≥N'. Then, I defined a function g: F -> {0,1}N'-1 by

g({(1,x1),...,(N'-1,xN'-1), (N',0),(N'+1,0)...}) = (x1,...,xN'-1)​

[Note: I know there is a simplier way to denote elements in F]

I then proved that this is a bijection. Since the range is a finite product of countable sets, it is countable. It follows that F is indeed countable.

Looking back at my proof, I feel that I may have made an error in picking N'. Cannot I not just construct a function that sends 1 through, say, N'+1 to 1 and the rest to zero? In other words, what (if anything) allows me to pick such an N'?

My proof may be correct. That is, I may be second guessing myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jmjlt88 said:
The problem asks whether the set F of all functions from Z+ into {0,1} is countable or uncountable.

In my proof, I claimed countable. By definition, associated with each function f in F, there is a positive integer N such that f(n)=0 for n≥N.
What about f(n)=1 for all n in Z+?
Or g(n)=1 for odd n, g(n)=0 for even n?

If that N(f) would exist for all f in F, F would be countable. However, you would need a different proof:
I took N' to be the largest of these N's.
"The largest N" does not have to exist in infinite subsets of the natural numbers.

If that N' would exist, F would be finite.

Sorry. I posted the question wrong. The problem asks whether the set F of all functions from Z+ into {0,1} that are eventually zero is countable or uncountable.

You can't choose a largest N' at all. Each function has a different N, no reason they should be bounded. Take the set of all functions such that f(n)=0 for n≥N. That's countable (in fact, it's finite). Now think about forming a union of sets.

I knew that picking N' was wrong! :frown: It didn't sit right with me. What about this.

Let AN be the set of all functions such that f(n)=0 for n≥N. For THIS set, I can construct a bijective correspondence between AN and {0,1}N-1 by defining g: AN->{0,1}N-1 by
g({(1,x1),...,(N-1,xN-1), (N,0),(N+1,0)...}) = (x1,...,xN-1).
Hence AN is countable for each N.
Taking Z+ as our index set. The union of all AN for each NεZ+ is the countable union of countable sets ...

jmjlt88 said:
I knew that picking N' was wrong! :frown: It didn't sit right with me. What about this.

Let AN be the set of all functions such that f(n)=0 for n≥N. For THIS set, I can construct a bijective correspondence between AN and {0,1}N-1 by defining g: AN->{0,1}N-1 by
g({(1,x1),...,(N-1,xN-1), (N,0),(N+1,0)...}) = (x1,...,xN-1).
Hence AN is countable for each N.
Taking Z+ as our index set. The union of all AN for each NεZ+ is the countable union of countable sets ...

Yes, that would do it.

1. What does it mean for a set of functions to be eventually zero?

A set of functions being eventually zero means that as the input value approaches a certain limit, the output value of the functions approaches zero. In other words, the functions will eventually become zero as the input value gets larger or smaller.

2. How is a set of functions that are eventually zero different from a set of functions that are always zero?

The main difference is that a set of functions that are always zero will have an output value of zero for all input values, while a set of functions that are eventually zero will only have an output value of zero as the input value approaches a certain limit. Additionally, a set of functions that are always zero may not have a limit for the input value, while a set of functions that are eventually zero will have a defined limit.

3. What are some examples of functions that are eventually zero?

Some examples include the function f(x) = 1/x as x approaches infinity, the function f(x) = sin(x)/x as x approaches infinity, and the function f(x) = e^(-x) as x approaches infinity. These functions all approach zero as the input value gets larger.

4. How is the concept of a set of functions that are eventually zero used in mathematical analysis?

The concept of a set of functions that are eventually zero is often used in the study of limits and continuity. It helps to determine if a function has a limit at a certain point, and if that limit is equal to zero. It also allows for the evaluation of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions that are eventually zero.

5. Can a set of functions that are eventually zero have a discontinuity?

Yes, a set of functions that are eventually zero can have a discontinuity. This can occur if the function has a limit of zero at a certain point, but is not defined at that point. The function may also have a jump discontinuity or an infinite discontinuity and still be considered a set of functions that are eventually zero.