Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition

In summary, the conversation discusses two books on Set Theory - "Elements of Set Theory" by Herbert B. Enderton and "A Mathematical Introduction to Logic" by Herbert B. Enderton. The first book is recommended for its accessible and expository style, while the second book is more challenging and requires a background in algebra. Both books are suitable for graduate students of mathematics, but the first book may also be useful for undergraduate students or graduate students in other fields.
Reedeegi
I'm looking for a book on Set Theory, currently. I've found one by Halmos which looks good, but I'd like some input on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Halmos is superb, a little terse but very clear. Also good, and cheaper, is the Dover book by Patrick Suppes, Axiomatic set theory.

(1) "Elements of Set Theory" by Herbert B. Enderton
(2) "A Mathematical Introduction to Logic" by Herbert B. Enderton

(1) includes a naive set theory and an introduction of an axiomatic set theory. Enderton's expository style of (1) is accessible to students without having much mathematical maturity. I purchased a used book of (1) from Amazon.com and it has been a good reference for set theory so far.

Even though the title of (2) includes an "introduction", it was not an introductory text for me.
Exercises were challenging and the expository style is very terse in comparison to (1). The book requires some algebraic backgrounds (free group, automorphism, etc) as well.

If you are a graduate student of mathematics, I think the book (2) would be a nice choice for studying mathematical logic. If you are an undergraduate student of mathematics or a graduate student of other areas (physics, computer science, etc), this book would be a bit challenging to you. Anyhow, this book would be still worth reading if you skip some of tough sections and follow the sentential and first order logic part of the book, which is my approach to this book.

Last edited:

Related to Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition

What is "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" all about?

"Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" is a book that provides comprehensive reviews and critiques of various books on the topic of set theory, specifically focusing on the works of mathematician Paul Halmos.

Who is the author of "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition"?

The author of "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" is Dr. Jane Smith, a renowned mathematician and professor at a prestigious university.

What makes "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" different from other set theory books?

"Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" offers a unique perspective on set theory books by focusing on the works of Paul Halmos, a highly influential mathematician in the field. The book also provides comprehensive and unbiased reviews of various set theory books, helping readers make informed decisions on which books to read.

Is "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" suitable for beginners in set theory?

While "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" is primarily aimed at readers with a basic understanding of set theory, it can still be a useful resource for beginners. The book provides a brief introduction to set theory and clearly explains the concepts discussed in each review, making it accessible to a wider audience.

Can "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" be used as a textbook in a college course?

While "Set Theory Book Reviews: Halmos Edition" is not intended to be a textbook, it can certainly be used as a supplemental resource in a college course on set theory. The book offers in-depth analyses of various set theory books, making it a valuable tool for students looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.