Set Theory, One to One Correspondence

In summary, the equation f(m,n) = 2^m(2n+1)-1 defines a one-to-one correspondence between w x w to w, where w is a symbol used to represent the set of natural numbers. This is essentially a bijection, as it is both one-to-one and onto. The function can be proved to be injective through induction on m and n, and to be onto by finding the inverse using prime factorization. Additionally, a bijection between [0,1] and (0,1) can be found by composing two functions.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Show that the equation f(m,n) = 2^m(2n+1)-1 defines a one-to-one correspondence between w x w to w.

Where w (omega) is a symbol used to represent the 0,1,2,3,4,5,6...

Question: The book defines a one to one correspondence as a one to one function from A onto B. Is this in effect a bijection since its also onto?

Further Question: The next question asks to find a one to one correspondence between [0,1] and (0,1) in the reals. This leads me to believe that the function does not have to be onto since I don't believe it is possible to have a bijection between a closed dense set to an open one. What do you make of this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep coming back to induction though it gets messy quickly and I can't seem to resolve some of my problems.

f(m,n) = 2^m(2n+1)-1
Induction on m
Base: Let m = 0 then f(0,n) = 2n

Must show that if f(m',n') = f(0,n) then m' = 0 and n'=n

Proof by induction on n

Base: Let n = 0 then f(0,0) = 0
Suppose by contradiction that m' or n' do not equal 0
Implying that 2n'+1 >or= 3 or 2^m' >= to 2
Implying f(m',n') >or= 1 > 0 Contradiction thus m'=n'=0

Induction Step: n implies n^+ (Successor operation also read as n+1)
f(0,n^+) = 2n^+ = 2n+2 = f(0,n)+2 I'm unsure where to go from here, I assume I need to use my induction hypothesis somehow.

Ie: If f(m',n') = f(0,n) then m' = 0 and n' = n.

ALSO NOTE: This is only to prove that the function is injective, any ideas on how to prove its onto (If needed?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to describe a method to find the inverse. If I give you N, how would you try to find an m and n such that N=f(m,n)? Hint: think about the prime factorization of N+1. Once you get that, you may be able to answer the 'onto' question as well.

Well if its even then m = 0 and n is given by 2n = N

If its odd then remove as many factors of 2 from N+1 and then n is dictated by whatever odd number is left (or 0).

Problem: I'm not sure how this can be a rigorous proof, we have not proved prime factorization nor do I believe I can just say "remove all factors of 2".

I'll think about it

Well I got the bijection between [0,1] and (0,1)

[0,1] -> [0,1)
1/n for all n in w to 1/(n+1)
Leave the rest

[0,1) -> (0,1)
n/(n+1) for all n in w to (n+1)/(n+2)
Leave the rest

Compose them.

Last edited:
Right. That is a perfectly rigorous proof. You've given a perfectly deterministic and unique way of finding m and n given N. And, sure, it depends on unique prime factorization. But I don't think you can do it any other way.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It involves the analysis of the properties and relationships of these sets, as well as the operations that can be performed on them.

2. What is one to one correspondence?

One to one correspondence, also known as bijection, is a type of relation between two sets where every element in one set is paired with exactly one element in the other set, and vice versa. This means that there is a unique and specific pairing between the elements of the two sets.

3. How is one to one correspondence represented?

In set theory, one to one correspondence can be represented using functions or mappings, where each element in one set is mapped to a unique element in the other set. It can also be represented using graphs, diagrams, or tables.

4. What is the importance of one to one correspondence in set theory?

One to one correspondence is important in set theory because it allows us to compare the sizes and cardinalities of different sets. It also helps in understanding the structure and properties of sets, and is frequently used in mathematical proofs and constructions.

5. How is one to one correspondence related to the concept of equality in set theory?

In set theory, two sets are considered equal if there exists a one to one correspondence between their elements. This means that the sets have the same number of elements and the same structure, and can be considered identical. One to one correspondence is therefore a crucial tool in determining equality between sets.