1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a function is a one-to-one correspondence

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether each of the following functions is one-to-one, onto, neither or both.

[tex] f : (2, \infty) \rightarrow (1, \infty)[/tex], given by [tex] f(x) = \frac{x}{x-2} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I think this is one-to-one and onto. So i need to prove it.

Claim: If [tex]f : (2, \infty) \rightarrow (1, \infty)[/tex], given by [tex] f(x) = \frac{x}{x-2} [/tex], then f is a one-to-one correspondence.

Proof: Assume [tex]f : (2, \infty) \rightarrow (1, \infty)[/tex], given by [tex] f(x) = \frac{x}{x-2} [/tex].
    First we must show that f is one-to-one.
    Let [tex] a,b \in (2, \infty)[/tex] such that [tex] f(a) = f(b) [/tex].
    Notice that
    [tex] f(a) = f(b) [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{a}{a-2} = \frac{b}{b-2} [/tex]
    [tex] a(b-2) = b(a-2) [/tex]
    [tex] ab - 2a = ab - 2b [/tex]
    [tex] -2a = -2b [/tex]
    [tex] a = b[/tex]
    Hence, f is one-to-one. Here, do I need to use the fact that the codomain is (1, infinity) or the domain is (2, infinity)?

Now we need to show that f is onto. Let [tex] b \in (1, \infty) [/tex] and take a = ....
    Here I would have solved b = a / (a-2) for a, but I do not know how to solve this. Is there any other way to do this proof besides solving for a then substituting back in to show that it gives me f(a) = b?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2
    I think what you're getting at is since a,b in (2,infty) then a/(a-2) make sense (the denominator is nonzero).

For ontoness (not a word) solving for b=a/(a-2) is the way to go. A lot of times you don't get a very nice function where you can't solve and so you'll have to show some kind of existence. But this is a nice function, not only can you show that there must exist an a mapping to b, but you can actually find the value of a.

NB: You must demonstrate that a is in the domain of the function. If you keep that same function and fudge around with the domain you can lose ontoness. eg if you define f the same, but change the domain to (3,infty) you get a very different function: the image of f under (3,infty) is (1,3) which is missing quite a bit of (1,infty)!
  4. Oct 27, 2007 #3
    Thanks a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?