Proving a function is a one-to-one correspondence

• Thread starter Jacobpm64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the discussion is about determining if the given function is one-to-one, onto, neither, or both. Through solving for a and b, it is shown that the function is both one-to-one and onto. The fact that the domain is (2, infinity) and the codomain is (1, infinity) is important in proving onto-ness.
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

Determine whether each of the following functions is one-to-one, onto, neither or both.

[tex] f : (2, \infty) \rightarrow (1, \infty)[/tex], given by [tex] f(x) = \frac{x}{x-2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think this is one-to-one and onto. So i need to prove it.

Claim: If [tex]f : (2, \infty) \rightarrow (1, \infty)[/tex], given by [tex] f(x) = \frac{x}{x-2} [/tex], then f is a one-to-one correspondence.

Proof: Assume [tex]f : (2, \infty) \rightarrow (1, \infty)[/tex], given by [tex] f(x) = \frac{x}{x-2} [/tex].
First we must show that f is one-to-one.
Let [tex] a,b \in (2, \infty)[/tex] such that [tex] f(a) = f(b) [/tex].
Notice that
[tex] f(a) = f(b) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{a}{a-2} = \frac{b}{b-2} [/tex]
[tex] a(b-2) = b(a-2) [/tex]
[tex] ab - 2a = ab - 2b [/tex]
[tex] -2a = -2b [/tex]
[tex] a = b[/tex]
Hence, f is one-to-one. Here, do I need to use the fact that the codomain is (1, infinity) or the domain is (2, infinity)?

Now we need to show that f is onto. Let [tex] b \in (1, \infty) [/tex] and take a = ...
Here I would have solved b = a / (a-2) for a, but I do not know how to solve this. Is there any other way to do this proof besides solving for a then substituting back into show that it gives me f(a) = b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacobpm64 said:
Here, do I need to use the fact that the codomain is (1, infinity) or the domain is (2, infinity)?

I think what you're getting at is since a,b in (2,infty) then a/(a-2) make sense (the denominator is nonzero).

For ontoness (not a word) solving for b=a/(a-2) is the way to go. A lot of times you don't get a very nice function where you can't solve and so you'll have to show some kind of existence. But this is a nice function, not only can you show that there must exist an a mapping to b, but you can actually find the value of a.

NB: You must demonstrate that a is in the domain of the function. If you keep that same function and fudge around with the domain you can lose ontoness. eg if you define f the same, but change the domain to (3,infty) you get a very different function: the image of f under (3,infty) is (1,3) which is missing quite a bit of (1,infty)!

Thanks a lot.

What is a one-to-one correspondence?

A one-to-one correspondence, also known as a bijection, is a function that maps each element from one set to one and only one element in another set. This means that each input has a unique output and vice versa.

How can I prove that a function is a one-to-one correspondence?

To prove that a function is a one-to-one correspondence, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. This means that every element in the codomain has exactly one corresponding element in the domain, and every element in the domain has at least one corresponding element in the codomain.

What are some common methods for proving a function is a one-to-one correspondence?

Some common methods for proving a function is a one-to-one correspondence include the horizontal line test, the vertical line test, and using algebraic equations to show that the function is both injective and surjective.

Why is it important to prove that a function is a one-to-one correspondence?

Proving that a function is a one-to-one correspondence is important because it ensures that the function is well-defined and that each input has a unique output. This is essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and statistics.

Can a function be a one-to-one correspondence if it is not bijective?

No, a function cannot be a one-to-one correspondence if it is not bijective. A one-to-one correspondence, by definition, is a function that is both injective and surjective. If a function is not bijective, it means that either not every element in the codomain has a corresponding element in the domain or that some elements in the domain have more than one corresponding element in the codomain, making it not a one-to-one correspondence.