Set up of an infinite geo series

In summary, the conversation is about solving for a geometric series and the confusion around the first term being considered "1" and the ratio being "wq". The solution provided in the notes is Ʃ (wq)k = wq/(1- wq) and the confusion is cleared up when it is clarified that the series starts at k = 1.
trap101
So I solved for series that I know is geometric, and I've been able to find the solution, but only because what was written in my notes. Personally it isn't sitting well with me because I don't see the relation to a simple geo series:

Ʃ (wq)k = wq/(1- wq).

Now if this is my series, wouldn't the first term be considered "1" and my ratio is "wq", if that's the case, then how is "wq" allowed to be in the numerator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Im replying from my phone so maybe there's a symbol I am not seeing...but if the series starts at k=1 the initial term would be wq, hence the value in the numerator.

zapz said:
Im replying from my phone so maybe there's a symbol I am not seeing...but if the series starts at k=1 the initial term would be wq, hence the value in the numerator.

It does start at k = 1,...that makes sense. Conditions, conditions, conditions. Thanks for the help.

1. What is an infinite geometric series?

An infinite geometric series is a mathematical sequence of numbers in which each term is multiplied by a constant ratio (called the common ratio) to get the next term. This sequence has an infinite number of terms and can continue endlessly.

2. How is an infinite geometric series set up?

An infinite geometric series is typically set up using the formula: a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... , where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. This formula can be used to find the sum of an infinite geometric series if the common ratio is between -1 and 1.

3. What is the purpose of setting up an infinite geometric series?

The purpose of setting up an infinite geometric series is to find the sum of an infinite number of terms. This can be used in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as in finance and physics.

4. How do you determine if an infinite geometric series is convergent or divergent?

An infinite geometric series is convergent if the absolute value of the common ratio (|r|) is less than 1. If the absolute value of the common ratio is greater than or equal to 1, the series is divergent.

5. Can an infinite geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, an infinite geometric series can have a negative common ratio. The series will still converge if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1, but the sum will alternate between positive and negative values.