Set up of an infinite geo series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
trap101
Messages
339
Reaction score
0
So I solved for series that I know is geometric, and I've been able to find the solution, but only because what was written in my notes. Personally it isn't sitting well with me because I don't see the relation to a simple geo series:

Ʃ (wq)k = wq/(1- wq).

Now if this is my series, wouldn't the first term be considered "1" and my ratio is "wq", if that's the case, then how is "wq" allowed to be in the numerator?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Im replying from my phone so maybe there's a symbol I am not seeing...but if the series starts at k=1 the initial term would be wq, hence the value in the numerator.
 
zapz said:
Im replying from my phone so maybe there's a symbol I am not seeing...but if the series starts at k=1 the initial term would be wq, hence the value in the numerator.



It does start at k = 1,...that makes sense. Conditions, conditions, conditions. Thanks for the help.