1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Setting up a double integral to find the volume

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Set up and evaluate a double integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equation

x2+y2+z2=r2

2. Relevant equations
    Not much equations, just setting the integral up, however I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to approach these problems if there were only 2 variables, but I'm kind of stuck since there are three variables that I have to deal with.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then solve the equation for z, giving one or more functions of two variables.

Is there any obvious symmetry you can use?

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3
    how can you solve the equation for z, even then there will be r^2. Help me out with the beginning here please.

5. Jun 27, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

r is just a constant. Do you recognize what the graph of this is?

6. Jun 27, 2010 #5
    do we approach this problem by first saying z=o, then x=o and y=o, integrating all three equations. However the question says to set up a double integration, not a triple integration?

7. Jun 27, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you don't do that. So I will ask you again:

1. Do you recognize what this surface is?
    2. Can you use any symmetries to your advantage?

Then solve it for z to get started. Get z in terms of x and y if you are required to do a double integral.

8. Jun 27, 2010 #7
    well it is a sphere, we can say that the center of the sphere passes through (0,0,0) so if we calculate the top half, we can multiply by 2, to get the answer.

z=sqrt(r^2-x^2-y^2)

the limits being -r and r for the first integral, and sqrt(r^2-y^2) and -sqrt(r^2-y^2)

is this correct so far?

9. Jun 28, 2010 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right idea. You might want to change your dxdy integral to polar coordinates to make it easier. If you do that, you might first change the r in the equation of the sphere to a so you don't confuse it with the r in polar coordinates. Good luck. I'm off to bed.

10. Jun 28, 2010 #9
    x2+y2+z2=r2 is a sphere..
    try using spherical coordinates.
    set up a triple integral, and do one integration to get to the double integral :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook