1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral to find volume between two surfaces

1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    set up and evaluate a double integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equations
    y = 4 - x^2
    z= 4 - x^2
    first octant

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am fairly confident in my ability to evaluate double integrals , but I am having a problem figuring out how to set this one up. In the example in my book they give two equations for z and equate them to find the region in the xy plane from this region they find the limits of integration.

I think for this one I have to rewrite the first equation in terms of z?
    so z = f(x,y) = y + x^2 - 4 = 0
    and then I set this equal to the other equation for z

y + x^2 -4 = 4 - x^2
    y -4 = 4 - 2x^2
    y = -2x^2 + 8

I am not sure if anything up to here is correct and I don't know where to go from here. can someone give me a hint to help me get started ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you are making it too complicated. In the xy plane plot the first quadrant portion of ##y=4-x^2##. That region is the base of your volume and you can find the xy limits there. The height of the solid is ##z=4-x^2##. Just do a double integral in xy.

4. Oct 30, 2015 #3
    Oh I think I get it now. This is the integral I came up with:

[itex] \int_0^4 \int_0^{(4-y)^\frac{1}{2}} (4-x^2) dxdy [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted