Double integral to find volume between two surfaces

In summary, to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of y = 4 - x^2 and z = 4 - x^2 in the first octant, a double integral must be set up and evaluated. The base of the volume is the first quadrant portion of y = 4 - x^2, with limits of integration in the xy plane. The height of the solid is z = 4 - x^2. The integral for this volume is \int_0^4 \int_0^{(4-y)^\frac{1}{2}} (4-x^2) dxdy.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

set up and evaluate a double integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equations
y = 4 - x^2
z= 4 - x^2
first octant

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly confident in my ability to evaluate double integrals , but I am having a problem figuring out how to set this one up. In the example in my book they give two equations for z and equate them to find the region in the xy plane from this region they find the limits of integration.

I think for this one I have to rewrite the first equation in terms of z?
so z = f(x,y) = y + x^2 - 4 = 0
and then I set this equal to the other equation for z

y + x^2 -4 = 4 - x^2
y -4 = 4 - 2x^2
y = -2x^2 + 8

I am not sure if anything up to here is correct and I don't know where to go from here. can someone give me a hint to help me get started ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are making it too complicated. In the xy plane plot the first quadrant portion of ##y=4-x^2##. That region is the base of your volume and you can find the xy limits there. The height of the solid is ##z=4-x^2##. Just do a double integral in xy.

Oh I think I get it now. This is the integral I came up with:

[itex] \int_0^4 \int_0^{(4-y)^\frac{1}{2}} (4-x^2) dxdy [/itex]

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that allows for the calculation of the volume between two surfaces in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

Why use a double integral to find volume between two surfaces?

A double integral is useful because it takes into account the variation of the function in both the x and y directions, which is necessary when calculating the volume between two surfaces. It allows for a more accurate and precise calculation.

How is a double integral calculated?

To calculate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both the x and y directions. Then, you multiply the function by the differential of area, which is dx dy, and integrate over the specified region.

What are some real-world applications of using a double integral to find volume between two surfaces?

A double integral can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or the amount of material needed to fill a certain space. For example, it can be used to determine the volume of a water tank or the amount of concrete needed to build a bridge.

What are some common challenges when using a double integral to find volume between two surfaces?

One common challenge is accurately determining the limits of integration for the given region. This can be especially difficult for complex shapes. Another challenge is setting up the integrals correctly, as it requires a good understanding of multivariable calculus. Additionally, the calculations can be time-consuming and prone to error if not done carefully.