1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up a work problem. pumping gasoline

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    I just have a quick question. I'm supposed to find the work required to pump gas out of a cone, but am having trouble finding the radius of the cone.

The cone measures 10 feet in height. I broke it up and set it up using similar triangles, and this is what I got:
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't seem right though. And, if it is right, where do I go from there? Any help is appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2
    if the height is 10, then y must be the difference from 10, or is that straight from the book?

4. Jul 23, 2007 #3
    Ok here is the full problem.

Gasoline weighing 42lb/ft(cubed) is contained in a buried conical tank shown below. (above). Set up an appropriate integral, and find the work required to pump all the gas to ground level.

The tank is 5 feet below ground, i just didn't draw it on the diagram.

edit: so do you think it's 10-y ?

5. Jul 23, 2007 #4
    Because 10 is the height of the cone. I'm trying to find the radius of the cone. I know how to do the pumping problems, but I'm just stuck on how to find the radius that you'll end up plugging into the integral.

6. Jul 23, 2007 #5
    I don't think I have all the information for the problem. I did a similar problem that gave me the radius of the top of the tank and I was able to do it. I'll check tonight to see if I'm missing something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?