Setting up a work problem. pumping gasoline

1. I just have a quick question. I'm supposed to find the work required to pump gas out of a cone, but am having trouble finding the radius of the cone.

The cone measures 10 feet in height. I broke it up and set it up using similar triangles, and this is what I got:
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't seem right though. And, if it is right, where do I go from there? Any help is appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. if the height is 10, then y must be the difference from 10, or is that straight from the book?

4. Ok here is the full problem.

Gasoline weighing 42lb/ft(cubed) is contained in a buried conical tank shown below. (above). Set up an appropriate integral, and find the work required to pump all the gas to ground level.

The tank is 5 feet below ground, i just didn't draw it on the diagram.

edit: so do you think it's 10-y ?

5. Because 10 is the height of the cone. I'm trying to find the radius of the cone. I know how to do the pumping problems, but I'm just stuck on how to find the radius that you'll end up plugging into the integral.

6. I don't think I have all the information for the problem. I did a similar problem that gave me the radius of the top of the tank and I was able to do it. I'll check tonight to see if I'm missing something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?