1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Setting up an Integral for the area of a surface of revolution

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Set up, but do not evaluate, an integral for the area of the surface obtained by rotating the curve y=xe-x 1=<x=<3 about the y-axis.

2. Relevant equations

S=integral from a to b x 2pix ds where ds=sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2)dx

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I tried to do is solve for the equation in terms of x, and then use the equation above. I figured it makes sense to solve for x since we are rotating the curve about the y-axis. I wasn't able to solve for x, so then I tried to use this method in my textbook where you leave x as it is, and then substitute u for whatever is within the square root sign in such a way that you can eliminate x. I tried to do that, but its turning into a mess since you get 1+(e-x-xe-x)2 underneath the square root and I don't really see how substitution could be used here...any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

All you need to do is set up the integral. Don't worry about trying to evaluate this integral.

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3
    So does this mean that the way I have set it up is correct? I had a feeling it wasn't right because I couldn't see what steps I'd take next in the event that I had to solve it.

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Seems to be OK, but I'm a little rusty on these surface area integrals. You have an extra x in what you typed, though, right after b. Did you mean for that to be there?

6. Feb 2, 2010 #5
    oops, i meant to put a "*" for multiplication.

Thanks for your help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook