1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Setting up an Uncertainty Problem

1. Nov 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton is known to lie within the nucleus of a gold atom. The radius of a gold nucleus is approximately 6 fm. What is the minimum uncertainty in the proton’s velocity [you may treat the problem as one-dimensional and you should express your answer as a fraction of c].

2. Relevant equations
    ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I got this, but Chegg is showing up weird inconsistent answers. I just want to make sure my logic is sound:

So since we can treat this one dimensionally, we know that the proton lies within a 6fm range. For simplicity, we can (in our imaginations) draw a 6 fm line and put a point on the center. On that center, our uncertainty of the position of the proton is ± 3 fm. So our Δx should be 3fm instead of 6 fm!

The rest of the work is rather simple, I just want to make sure I'm setting this up properly.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 6 fm represents the radius of the nucleus.

4. Nov 2, 2016 #3
    Not very helpful. I think my work shows that I understand this.

5. Nov 2, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it shows you thought the 6fm was a diameter.

6. Nov 3, 2016 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not that it would make a difference to this order of magnitude calculation, but if someone gave me a proton in a one-dimensional box that extends, say, from zero to 12 fm and asked "where is the proton?", I would say "somewhere between zero and 12 fm". So in such situations, I consider the position uncertainty to be the entire range in which the particle can be without me knowing any better.

7. Nov 3, 2016 #6
    You're 100% right. Thanks for that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted