1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Settting up force problem with only mass and velocity provided

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 60kg person is in a head-on collision. The car's speed at impact is 15 m/s. Estimate the net force on the person if they are wearing their seat belt and the air bags deploy. When these two events occur, the passenger decelerates over a distance of 1 m.

2. Relevant equations

This is a force problem so I reasoned I would need to use F=ma. Below explains other equations I try.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the way I saw it. I need "F" and I have "m", but they gave me a velocity instead of an acceleration. Although I need an acceleration, I don't know how to set up the kinematics problem (I greatly struggle with this part of each problem) and I try all different things that don't make sense. So I have V_f = 0 m/s while V_i = 15 m/s but all the equations I tried still have an unknown "time" or "distance", which I don't understand how to extrapolate out of the problem. Would I use D_i as 1 m and D_f as 0 m since it decelerates over a distance of 1 m?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2
    You are first looking for your acceleration, so you are going to ignore the F=ma until you know "a"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015
    find the equation that had distance, acceleration, and a starting velocity, and a final velocity

vf^2=vi^2+2aΔx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook