1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Several questions about functions

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have these problems:
    15.6.2)Proof that there isn't functions f and g such that f(x)and g(y) = xy for all values of x and y. Sugestion: Considering x=0 proof that g must be a constant function. After doing that, consider now y=0 e sees what happens with the function.

15.6.3)Proof that there isn't functions f and g such that f(x)g(y)=x+y for alll values of x and y. Sugestion: Considering x=0 proof that f(0) != 0 and determines an expression for g(y). Doing that, consider then y=0 and sees what happens with x.

15.6.4)Be f(x)= x+1.There is such functions f°g = g°f? Answer: g(x) = g(0) + x

15.6.1)Be f,g and h functions. Show a proof or a counter-proof for the following identities:
    a)(f+g)°h = f°h + g°h
    b)h°(f+g) = h°f + h°g
    c)1/(f°g) = (1/f)°g
    d)1/(f°g) = f°(1/g)

3. The attempt at a solution

What I tried to do:

15.6.2) I am not even sure if I understand the question.F(x)and G(y) = xy means that both functions are equal. I think they can't. How can a single variable function produces two variables as a answer?

15.6.3)Same problem as above.

15.6.4)I don't understand the answer. Why this unusual answer based on its on value? Why can't g(x) = x or g(x) = x+c ? In my hypothesis: f°g = f(g(x)) = f(x+c) = x+c+1. g°f = g(f(x)) = g(x+1) = x+1+c

15.6.1)a) and b) I know that (f + g) (x) = f(x) + g(x). So (f+g)°h = (f() + g())°h. Not sure if this is right and even if it is, no idea how to show of that the ° operator is distributive (or not).

15.6.1)c and d. No idea in this one.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your first two questions don't make sense as worded.
    What does the composition of f and g have to do with the equation f(x)g(y)=x+y?
  4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    My mistake:

These are the correct versions
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?