Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Daphne not a fan of the track events, loving the discus though!

 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, symbolipoint, phinds and 1 other person
1758403377479.webp
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Ibix, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Screenshot 2025-09-20 at 10.58.34 AM.webp

Not an animal, but fungi. Closer to animals than plants though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Ibix and collinsmark
Here is my favorite one. Better than any AI, best neural network ever, and yet, a complete mystery.

q=tbn:ANd9GcRx9jl4WgDzfo-61_0qfH0Zo1kVRwILnb3atQ&s.webp
 
Interesting! Notice the white patch on the Doberman Pinscher. Unusual. Makes to wonder if a reason that might occur on purebread.
 
Here is a different looking animal.
Annelid worms have a series of segments (repeated sections of body plan) along their longitudinal axis.
Earthworms are annelid worms. They also have chaeta along their sides to help burrowing. The hairy things along the sides of this thing maybe modified chaeta.

Screenshot 2025-10-03 at 11.26.15 AM.webp
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, collinsmark, Ibix and 1 other person
This sea slug (like many corals) can use algae they have incorporated into their skin to photosynthesize.

Screenshot 2025-10-07 at 6.45.49 PM.webp
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, DennisN, collinsmark and 2 others
1760026768479.webp


In these troubled times it wouldn't hurt to spend more time playing with your dog. It works for me anyway.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rive, berkeman, collinsmark and 1 other person
BillTre said:

I have a thing for bats, I really like them. :smile:
I saw one recently flying very fast close to me in the evening, but it was impossible to even try to shoot it. I wouldn't have had time to even put my hand in the pocket to reach for the smartphone;
it was gone in an instant :biggrin:.

Gosh, I would really love to take photos of bats, but I see major obstacles:
  • I guess you would have to go to particular places where they are known to be, and
  • I imagine you would have to be very careful with the camera settings, and likely shoot with flash (?) in presumably dark places.
It definitely sounds like a challenge :smile: .
 
Bats are cool.
I have known people in a couple of bat neurobiology labs (one also owls). Echolocation.
You could throw small objects into the air when they are flying around and they will go after them as if they were prey. Lots of fun.

I would guess the bat shots were made in a place know for frequent bat presence,
at the dark side of dusk, and used a flash from below.
You could point a camera up (tripod) at the right time with the right focus and click off shots when the bats are in the right place.
Or you could use a trigger mechanism (like a trail cam) to catch a lot of shots by itself.
This is a lot like shooting pictures of fast moving small fish. They move too fast to be creative in the moment. You have to plan it ahead of time. Lights, camera, maybe place some obstacles to funnel their movement to your shoot location.

I think of bats as coming out at dusk. Have not seen them flying at other times.
Maybe there are bat watching groups (like bird watchers) that would have some info.
Sometimes there maybe news stories of well known places (caves, belfries).

Twenty years ago, when our backyard was more immersed in a copse of large trees (walnut, cheery, oak), bats would fly through the backyard a lot. Now 80% of these large trees are gone, there is more open sky and I'm not seeing so many bats.
 
DennisN said:
I have a thing for bats, I really like them. :smile:

BillTre said:
Bats are cool.

As I always say, no matter how tempting, and no matter how cute and cuddly they look, do not eat the bats. :smile:
 
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and BillTre
Screenshot 2025-10-27 at 2.46.46 PM.webp


This guy's legs looks a lot like elephantiasis where a small parasitic worm (roundworm?) plugs upthe lymphatic system in some parts of the body. this results in the tissues swelling with ,unreturned to the heart, lymph fluid.
 
These are killifish. They are often very colorful. Some live in flooded fields where they breed when there is water, lay desiccation resistant eggs, die when the field become unflooded, the eggs wait in the dirt and then hatch at the next flood.

The background is bunches of acrylic yarn that gets used as fake plants and spawning mops by aquarium keepers. Because acrylic can be bleached, it is easily sterilized. Good for husbandry.

Screenshot 2025-11-03 at 4.03.40 PM.webp
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Rive, Ibix and 1 other person