Shelf in a box, treating the shelf as a weak perturbation

In summary, the conversation discusses treating a shelf as a weak perturbation and determining the perturbed state H'. The options for calculating H' are mentioned, as well as the confusion about using En = <Yn|H'| Yn> ==> <Yn| Vo |Yn>. It is clarified that the Hamiltonian is kinetic energy + potential energy, and calculating <Yn| Vo |Yn> is easy due to the constant potential in a finite region of space.
Futurestar33
Homework Statement
Shelf in a box, treating the shelf as a weak perturbation. The pertubation is not given what should I use?
Relevant Equations
H= Ho+ H'
E_n = <Y_n|H'|Y_n>
In this problem I am supposed to treat the shelf as a weak perturbation. However it doesn't give us what the perturbed state H' is. At the step V(x) = Vo, but that is all that is given and isn't needed to determine H'.

This isn't in a weak magnetic field so I wouldn't you use H'=qEx and then treat X as an operator.

The other option I would use is H'=lamdaX, (but that is usually given in a problem as well)

Attachments

• Doc Jun 04, 2019, 0005.pdf
    353.9 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
Futurestar33 said:
At the step V(x) = Vo, but that is all that is given and isn't needed to determine H'.
What do you mean? This is exactly what is needed to know ##H'##.

Start with the Hamiltonian in the absence of the shelf, then figure out how it is different if there is a shelf.

Im confused at this then.
When there is no shelf the H= ∇^2Ψ=-K^2Ψ where K= √(2mE)/hbar
General expression being Ψ= Csin(kx)+Dcos(kx) , k=npi/a

When there is a shelf H = ∇^2Ψ = -η^2Ψ where η=√(2mE-Vo)/hbar
General expression being Ψ= Ae^(κx)+Be^(-κx).

I know I am not supposed to plug those in for H'

are you saying I just use En = <Yn|H'| Yn> ==> <Yn| Vo |Yn> ?

Ok I got it, I was just thinking that usually it is given or some form of an operator.
but in this case it does just end up up being the above.

Futurestar33 said:
are you saying I just use En = <Yn|H'| Yn> ==> <Yn| Vo |Yn> ?
Yes. Remember that the Hamiltonian is kinetic energy + potential energy. This is not evident in the case of the particle in a box, because in the domain where the wave function is non-zero, the potential is zero.

##H'## is defined by parts, but calculating ##\langle \psi_n |H' | \psi_n \rangle## is easy since its an integration over a constant potential in a finite region of space.

1. What is a "shelf in a box"?

A "shelf in a box" refers to a theoretical model in which a shelf is treated as a weak perturbation, or disturbance, in a larger system. This allows for the study of how the shelf affects the overall dynamics of the system.

2. How is the shelf treated as a weak perturbation?

The shelf is treated as a weak perturbation by assuming that its influence on the overall system is small compared to other factors. This allows for the use of linear approximations and simplifications in mathematical models to study its effects.

3. What are the benefits of treating the shelf as a weak perturbation?

Treating the shelf as a weak perturbation allows for a more simplified and manageable model, making it easier to study and understand the effects of the shelf on the larger system. It also allows for the use of linear approximations, which can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of the system.

4. What types of systems can be studied using a "shelf in a box" model?

A "shelf in a box" model can be applied to a wide range of systems, including physical systems such as ocean currents and atmospheric circulation, as well as social and economic systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a "shelf in a box" model?

While a "shelf in a box" model can provide valuable insights, it is important to note that it is a simplified representation of a complex system. Therefore, the results and conclusions drawn from this model should be interpreted with caution and may not fully capture the dynamics of the real-world system.