Shell's Method: Solids of Rotation, Torus

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a torus using the Shell's method, with the given equation 4\pi \int^{1}_{-1}((R-x) \sqrt{r^2 - x^2})dx. The solver suggests trying trig substitution and integration by parts to solve the equation.
teken894

Homework Statement

Volume of Torus: using Shell's mehod

[tex] 4\pi \int^{1}_{-1}((R-x) \sqrt{r^2 - x^2})dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to integrate this at all. I cannot use any conventional methods...or I can't think of a way... i.e. use isolate a function as u and try to integrate wrt du

Is the only way to distribute the equation first?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try trig substitution, e.g. x=rcost or x=rsint. i did not complete it myself but that should work. after that you may need to do integration by parts. don't forget dx changes too, as does -1 and 1.

Last edited:

1. What is Shell's method for finding the volume of solids of rotation?

Shell's method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid formed by rotating a curve around an axis. It involves integrating the product of the circumference of a shell and its height over the interval of rotation.

2. How is Shell's method different from other methods for finding volumes of solids of rotation?

Shell's method differs from other methods, such as the disk or washer method, in that it uses cylindrical shells instead of disks or washers. This allows for easier integration and can be more efficient for certain types of shapes.

3. What types of curves can be used with Shell's method?

Shell's method can be used with any curve that can be rotated around an axis, such as circles, parabolas, and exponential curves. It is most commonly used with curves that have a vertical axis of rotation.

4. Are there any limitations to using Shell's method?

While Shell's method can be used for a variety of curves, there are some limitations. It is not suitable for curves that intersect the axis of rotation, as well as curves that have multiple axes of rotation.

5. How can Shell's method be applied in real-world situations?

Shell's method has many practical applications, such as finding the volume of a wine barrel or a water tower, or calculating the surface area of a 3D printed object. It can also be used in physics and engineering to calculate moments of inertia and center of mass for rotating objects.