Shiba dog's DNA found to be most similar to the Wolf but....

• Thread starter Pleonasm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary: It was not an estimated prediction of distribution. It was only the result of their findings. There was no extrapolation based on the data. What I would like to know is how many of each breed was used. One from each seems meaningless, especially since the top 4 are so...
Pleonasm said:
Please explain then how this discussed DNA study paints a completely different picture...
I don't see any study. Just a 15-years old Q&A with some person.

Biology news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
I don't see any study. Just a 15-year old Q&A with some person.

Then read again because I just referenced it in the post above..
"Based on studies by Dr. Robert Wayne at UC Berkeley, sled dogs are no more closely related to wolves than Chihuahuas."

The DNA for sled dogs does not retroactively change in the 2000s does it? Or did the northern breeds suddenly get wolfy?:rolleyes:

How on Earth can these discrepencies exist?

You're only giving us the name of the researcher. No date or place of publication, no title.

Pleonasm said:
DNA for the sled dogs does not retroactively change in the 2000s does it? Or did the northern breeds suddenly get wolfy?:rolleyes:

How on Earth can these discrepency exist?
Without seeing the study, I'd venture a guess that it did not have the benefit of modern genetics. But do find it so that we may take a look.

Bandersnatch said:
You're only giving us the name of the researcher. No date or place of publication, no title.Without seeing the study, I'd venture a guess that it did not have the benefit of modern genetics. But do find it so that we may take a look.

The wolf lady in the Q & A from the same time period made genetic claims, so I presume the berkeley researcher did just that. I would love to find it.

Pleonasm said:
The DNA for sled dogs does not retroactively change in the 2000s does it? Or did the northern breeds suddenly get wolfy?:rolleyes:

How on Earth can these discrepencies exist?

The study we were discussing was made in 2004, while that interview was done in 1997. Therefor it seems likely that at the time of the interview there was not as much information about dog and wolf genetics available.

Likes BillTre
Please turn your volume down a bit before opening the clip.

Here's the body language and vocalisation of an enraged Shiba dog. The teeth are bigger than regular dog, including sled dogs, but I don't think this is wolf-like mannerism.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
The study we were discussing was made in 2004, while that interview was done in 1997. Therefor it seems likely that at the time of the interview there was not as much information about dog and wolf genetics available.

DNA has not changed since 97. Either he examined it or he didn't.

Maybe you guys can help me with this at least. Is there a statistical significance between the Shiba Inu, Chow Chow and Akita in wolfiness? I can't read this data properly.

Pleonasm said:
DNA has not changed since 97. Either he examined it or he didn't.

Genetic studies are very complicated and involve a lot of time and effort. Even if you have the full genetic code of animal you still have to choose what you're going to study and limit yourself. DNA sequencing also takes time and costs money. I don't know the state of the industry back then, but it may not have been within the capability of the scientists at UC Berkely in 1997 to sequence and study hundreds of individual dogs and wolves. Or it may just be that no one had gotten around to doing this detailed of a study until 2004.

Pleonasm said:
Maybe you guys can help me with this at least. Is there a statistical significance between the Shiba Inu, Chow Chow and Akita in wolfiness? I can't read this data properly.

I don't know. The authors did not provide raw numbers in their article, only a graph that makes it difficult to tell when several different breeds are very close to each other in 'wolfiness'.

Edit: I'm referring to the article linked by Bandersnatch it post #7.

Likes BillTre
Drakkith said:
Genetic studies are very complicated and involve a lot of time and effort. Even if you have the full genetic code of animal you still have to choose what you're going to study and limit yourself. DNA sequencing also takes time and costs money. I don't know the state of the industry back then, but it may not have been within the capability of the scientists at UC Berkely in 1997 to sequence and study hundreds of individual dogs and wolves. Or it may just be that no one had gotten around to doing this detailed of a study until 2004.
I don't know. The authors did not provide raw numbers in their article, only a graph that makes it difficult to tell when several different breeds are very close to each other in 'wolfiness'.

Edit: I'm referring to the article linked by Bandersnatch it post #7.

So the red bar distinctions are pretty meaningless between the top even if you have experience of previous studies with these tools? It seems foolish to use them then?

I also question their phrasing "wolf-like" genes as opposed to literal wolf gene structures. By saying "wolf-like" is it gene structures that resemble the DNA structures of wolfes, but are in fact not literal wolf structures??

Very confusing.

Pleonasm said:
So the red bar distinctions are pretty meaningless between the top even if you have experience of previous studies with these tools? It seems foolish to use them then?

I expect that the graphs are only there to serve as a quick way to visualize the data. A table with the raw numbers would probably give you more information but wouldn't look as good for the publication. The beginning of the article states that high resolution figures might be available online, but the link leads to a paywall, so I can't access them.

Pleonasm said:
I also question their phrasing "wolf-like" genes as opposed to literal wolf gene structures. By saying "wolf-like" is it gene structures that resemble the DNA structures of wolfes, but are in fact not literal wolf structures??

Very confusing.

I can't say that I know either.

If it means genes that resemble wolf gene structures, then the result of the study is meaningless. In other words: which dog breed has genetic structures that most resemble structures of wolfes, even though it's not the same ones.

You guys see where I am going with this?

Last edited:
Pleonasm said:
If it means genes that resemble wolf gene structures, then the result of the study is meaningless. In other words: which dog breed has genetic structures that most resemble structures of wolfes, even though it's not the same ones.

You guys see where I am going with this?

What's the difference between a gene resembling a wolf gene vs a gene that is a wolf gene? Does a change of one nucleotide mean that the gene is no longer a wolf gene? How similar do they need to be, given that there is often variability even within individuals of the same species/breed?

Likes BillTre
Drakkith said:
What's the difference between a gene resembling a wolf gene vs a gene that is a wolf gene? Does a change of one nucleotide mean that the gene is no longer a wolf gene? How similar do they need to be, given that there is often variability even within individuals of the same species/breed?

What's the difference between code similar to a computer vs the actual code? One is the computer, the other might not produce any computer operations at all, or very ineffecient ones.

No dog breed is technically more related to the wolf if none of their targetted structures are verbatim copies of the wolf code. It's just meaningless code aesthetics, if one overlaps more than the other.

Pleonasm said:
What's the difference between code similar to a computer vs the actual code? One is the computer, the other might not produce any computer operations at all, or very ineffecient ones.

One could also compare it to different versions of the same program. If a programmer changed the name of a variable in one of the functions, is that function still the same function as it used to be? Note that microsatellites are simply repeated patterns of short DNA code, typically 1-6 nucleotides long. They don't code for proteins and are not subject to stringent conservative evolutionary pressure, meaning that mutations in them aren't as detrimental as they might be elsewhere in the genome. This makes it convenient to use for genetic analysis.

Pleonasm said:
No dog breed is technically more related to the wolf if none of their targetted structures are verbatim copies of the wolf code. It's just meaningless code aesthetics, if one overlaps more than the other.

I'm not sure how the authors of the article evaluated the DNA. The microsatellite loci may have been identical in all the wolves, or there may have been some variability between individuals. Hence why I asked you what the difference between the two were. If there is variability in these microsatellite loci between individuals, that would make it impossible for the loci to match up exactly between breeds and wolves, as there would be no single template from either dogs or wolves with which to compare.

Drakkith said:
One could also compare it to different versions of the same program. If a programmer changed the name of a variable in one of the functions, is that function still the same function as it used to be? Note that microsatellites are simply repeated patterns of short DNA code, typically 1-6 nucleotides long. They don't code for proteins and are not subject to stringent conservative evolutionary pressure, meaning that mutations in them aren't as detrimental as they might be elsewhere in the genome. This makes it convenient to use for genetic analysis.
I'm not sure how the authors of the article evaluated the DNA. The microsatellite loci may have been identical in all the wolves, or there may have been some variability between individuals. Hence why I asked you what the difference between the two were. If there is variability in these microsatellite loci between individuals, that would make it impossible for the loci to match up exactly between breeds and wolves, as there would be no single template from either dogs or wolves with which to compare.

If similarity between code structures is sufficient for wolf connections, then dogs like the Shiba Inu would likely reflect this overlap as being more wolfy. You wouldn't even need a study. I have outlined how this is not the case. While the Shiba Inu has several primal attributes and is no way an ordinary, domesticated dog (far from it), it is not wolfy in body language, behavior, vocalisation etc. The Siberian Husky exhibits far wolfier behavior, yet it doesn't even make the top 5 list.

Pleonasm said:
If similarity between code structures is sufficient for wolf connections, then dogs like the Shiba Inu would likely reflect this overlap as being more wolfy. You wouldn't even need a study. I have outlined how this is not the case.

Tell me. How much do you know about genetics? Why would I trust your explanation over the articles referenced earlier in the thread?

Pleonasm said:
While the Shiba Inu has several primal attributes and is no way an ordinary, domesticated dog (far from it), it is not wolfy in body language, behavior, vocalisation etc. The Siberian Husky exhibits far wolfier behavior, yet it doesn't even make the top 5 list.

Which suggests that the appearance of an animal doesn't necessarily correspond directly to how distantly related it is to another animal.

Drakkith said:
Tell me. How much do you know about genetics? Why would I trust your explanation over the articles referenced earlier in the thread?

Because I know my history.. Neither the modern day Shiba Inu or Alaskan malamute is the oldest dog breed. Far from it. Both went nearly extinct and both were reinstated by the use of three distinct, but similar breeds of dogs. The only logical conclusion to draw from this, concidering that they are 1 and 4th respectively on the list, is that other breeds mixed in were ancient too. I don't know if I would bet on that with a "design dog" like the Alaskan malamute, so I am very surprised and sceptical of how high it placed. There was also near certain reinjection of wolf blood in early incarnations of Malamutes, which is not detectable by regular samples but possibly by a deeper DNA study. This should disqualify it from the study altogether if true.

Last edited:
Pleonasm said:
Because I know my history. Neither the modern day Shiba Inu or Alaskan malamute is the oldest dog breed. Far from it. Both went nearly extinct and both were reinstated by the use of three distinct, but similar breeds of dogs.

Can you provide any references supporting this?

Pleonasm said:
There was also near certain reinjection of wolf blood in early incarnations of Malamutes, which is not detectable by regular samples but possibly by a deeper DNA study.

And this.

Pleonasm said:
Here's an extensive account of Malamutes. The shiba extinction threat is in any bio on the net. http://omalmalamutes.com/omal/kotzebuevsmaloot.htm

Awesome, thanks.

Well, I wish I could help you further, but I don't believe I know enough about this topic. I trust that there's an explanation that accounts for both the breed history and the genetic analysis though. But I certainly don't know it.

Drakkith said:
Awesome, thanks.

Well, I wish I could help you further, but I don't believe I know enough about this topic. I trust that there's an explanation that accounts for both the breed history and the genetic analysis though. But I certainly don't know it.

Wouldn't you agree that if if a working breed is resurrected with new blood lines, it's rather unlikely so many years after its conception that those blood lines are ancient too?

Here is the deceased mother of my Alaskan Malamute dog. She appears to be from the original blood line, concidering the smaller size. She was as small as a retriever dog.
658210933.jpg.7dd05d3dcbdff769890ff5ea18c71f0e.jpg

Attachments

• 658210933.jpg.7dd05d3dcbdff769890ff5ea18c71f0e.jpg
    658210933.jpg.7dd05d3dcbdff769890ff5ea18c71f0e.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 703
Pleonasm said:
Wouldn't you agree that if if a working breed is resurrected with new blood lines, it's rather unlikely so many years after its conception that those blood lines are ancient too?

I suppose it depends on how much new blood was introduced.

Drakkith said:
I suppose it depends on how much new blood was introduced.

Enough to propagate morphological variance. Malamutes were originally medium sized dogs resembling Huskies. Nowdays they might as well look like this from certain lines.

Attachments

• lynn-m-stone-alaskan-malamute-dog-usa_a-G-2635226-14258389.jpg
    lynn-m-stone-alaskan-malamute-dog-usa_a-G-2635226-14258389.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 455
Hey, my Shiba Inu is like a wolf, ,,,, more like a fox. if there is fox like the wolf. How many different wolves are out there? one must be close to fox. I've got one like a fox.

Gil Lee said:
Hey, my Shiba Inu is like a wolf, ,,,, more like a fox. if there is fox like the wolf. How many different wolves are out there? one must be close to fox. I've got one like a fox.

That would make sense since it states wolf-like, not wolf. And foxes are wolf-like. :cool:

Drakkith said:
The graph only shows the estimated proportion of each breeds membership in each cluster. You cannot directly determine how similar any of them are to each other from this graph.

That's a fallacy, and I'll explain why. Even though the Shiba, Akita and Chow Chow had the same amount of gray wolf overlap, the Akita and Chow had more branching of additional breeds mixed in, while the Shiba stays consistent with just one line of similar breed(s) + the grey wolf heritance. This would make the shiba technically more wolf-like on the basis of less divergance = less branching out.

Pleonasm said:
Even though the Shiba, Akita and Chow Chow had the same amount of gray wolf overlap, the Akita and Chow had more branching of additional breeds mixed in, while the Shiba stays consistent with just one line of similar breed(s) + the grey wolf heritance.

I don't see anything to support this. Figures 2 and 3 of the paper show virtually equal proportions of other clusters in these breeds as far as I can tell. Are we looking at the same figures?

Drakkith said:
I don't see anything to support this. Figures 2 and 3 of the paper show virtually equal proportions of other clusters in these breeds as far as I can tell. Are we looking at the same figures?

It doesn't specify which all of the families each breeds DNA conformed to, since this would amount to a guessing game. I happen to know historically that the dog breeds in the Akita (yes Japanese Akitas included) is amongst others the German Shepherd. This occurred out of neccesity when Akitas in Japan were threatened with extinction during WW2. The German Shepherd DNA is very distinct from the grey wolfes as this study showed. The Shiba inus family tree is free of western dog crossbreeding, because dogs on the countryside were not subject to this crossbreeding.

Last edited:
Put it like this: suppose we want to compare two mixed breed dogs Husky-conformity, and suppose both have 20% Husky in them. If the rest of dog DNA in dog A is still sled dogs, while the rest of the dog DNA in mixed Dog B is german shepherds, then naturally, Dog A is closer to a pure breed Husky because the other dogs are closer to the husky in dog A, than they are in dog B.

I am guessing this is how the Shiba Inu was deemed more wolf-like even though the Wolf DNA overlap was tied between the three Japanese breeds

Pleonasm said:
It doesn't specify which all of the families each breeds DNA conformed to, since this would amount to a guessing game. I happen to know historically that the dog breeds in the Akita (yes Japanese Akitas included) is amongst others the German Shepherd. This occurred out of neccesity when Akitas in Japan were threatened with extinction during WW2.

Then one has to ask why the two breeds have virtually no overlap in cluster membership.

Pleonasm said:
I am guessing this is how the Shiba Inu was deemed more wolf-like even though the Wolf DNA overlap was tied between the three Japanese breeds

I'm not sure. I think they just compared allele frequencies and didn't provide the detailed analysis in the article.