1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shift Equlibrium Concentrations Curves w/o Adding Stress

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    Hi guys,

I have been wondering if its possible to alter equilibrium concentrations without adding stress to the system?

Thanks,

Larry

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3
    It depends on what you call 'stress'.

For everything that increases stress you can also do the opposite, and the reaction will shift to the opposite side as well. For example:

If you increase the pressure (add stress?) of a reaction, it will favor the side with fewer moles of gas. If you would do the opposite, decrease the pressure (reduce stress?) of a reaction, it will favor the side with the most moles of gas.

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4
    The definition of stress (at least in my case) is a change in temperature, pressure or concentration in the system. For concentration we are talking about adding concentration to the system as a stress.

I was thinking maybe we can reduce the volume to shift the equilibrium concentrations downwards.

6. Dec 4, 2013 #5
    You can reduce the volume to shift the equilibrium, if you reduce the volume you increase the pressure so that favors the side with fewer moles of gas.

7. Dec 4, 2013 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How are you going to reduce a volume without applying a pressure (stress) to the system?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted