1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Shifting from Electronics and Communication Engineering to Theoretical Physics

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Hi i'm doing my pre-final year Electronics and communication engineering in India. But i want my career to be in theoretical physics. My ultimate aim is to find the secret behind the birth and working of our universe. Previously due to my family's compulsion i took engineering. Now i want to go along the rest of my life with my school days' dream. Please help me , what to do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    Do you think this is a realistic aim...?

Have you spoken with your university careers service about changing to physics? I'm sure you know that one possible route is to complete another degree.

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3
    Paul Dirac started with an Engineering degree before moving to Maths and Physics.

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4
    ...completing a second degree in mathematics. In either case, whilst anecdotally interesting, I'm not sure how this could be helpful to the OP.

To the OP: I guess you could also look for post-graduate positions in physics departments that are seeking engineering graduates. These positions do exist, but it will be difficult to convince anyone to take you on without a serious background in physics.

6. Mar 22, 2010 #5
    well after you 'disrespected' the Original Poster - I thought I would offer some inspiration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook