Shooter hitting targets of variable heights

• Thread starter flyingcow93g
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the initial velocity for a shooter that shoots a ball at a fixed angle of 65 degrees from horizontal. The shooter is aimed at 3 targets of different but fixed heights, with the distance in the X direction to the targets being the same for each target. The goal is to find a formula that can calculate the initial velocity by plugging in the distance and the target's height. The proposed formula was Vi=sqrt(4.9d^2/((cos(65)^2)(tan(65)d-h)), where d=distance and h=height of the target. However, there seemed to be a mistake in the calculations and the person was looking for help to find the correct formula
flyingcow93g
I have a shooter that shoots a ball at a fixed angle of 65 degrees from horizontal. The shooter is aimed at 3 targets of different but fixed heights. The top target is at 1.536 meters above the shooter, the middle target is at 0.571 meters, and the bottom target is -0.318 below the shooters height. The distance in the X direction from my shooter to the targets is the same for each target, and is known through a sensor on my shooter. (An approximate location would be maybe 14 feet away from the targets, if you need to know the general area, but this IS a known variable.) I do not know time or final velocity when it hits the targets, nor is it important. I'm looking for the initial velocity to shoot my ball in order to hit one of the targets.

Basically, I'm looking for a formula where I could plug in our distance and the target I'm aiming for and calculate my initial velocity.

I've come up with something along the lines of Vi=sqrt(4.9d^2/((cos(65)^2)(tan(65)d-h)) where d=distance and h=height of the target, but it doesn't seem to be working properly. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi flyingcow93g! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
flyingcow93g said:
I've come up with something along the lines of Vi=sqrt(4.9d^2/((cos(65)^2)(tan(65)d-h)) …

looks roughly right …

show us your full calculations, and then we can see where you've made a mistake! :smile:

1. How does the height of a target affect a shooter's accuracy?

The height of a target can greatly impact a shooter's accuracy because it changes the angle and distance at which the shooter must aim. A higher target requires the shooter to aim at a steeper angle, while a lower target requires a shallower angle. This can affect the trajectory of the bullet and therefore, the accuracy of the shot.

2. Is it more difficult to hit a target at a higher or lower height?

It is generally more difficult to hit a target at a higher height because it requires a more precise aim and can be affected by factors such as wind and gravity more prominently. However, it also depends on the skill level of the shooter and the type of firearm being used.

3. How can a shooter adjust their aim for targets of different heights?

To adjust for targets of different heights, a shooter must consider the angle and distance at which they are aiming. They may need to aim slightly higher or lower to account for the height difference and make adjustments for factors such as wind and bullet drop. Practice and experience can also help a shooter become more accurate at hitting targets of varying heights.

4. What effect does a shooter's position have on hitting targets of variable heights?

A shooter's position can have a significant impact on their ability to hit targets of variable heights. A standing position, for example, may make it more difficult to aim at a higher target compared to a prone position. The shooter's stance, stability, and comfort can also affect their accuracy and ability to make adjustments for targets of different heights.

5. Can the type of firearm affect a shooter's accuracy when hitting targets of variable heights?

Yes, the type of firearm can play a role in a shooter's accuracy when hitting targets of variable heights. The weight, recoil, and sight alignment of a firearm can all impact how the shooter aims and adjusts for targets at different heights. Some firearms may be more suitable for hitting higher or lower targets due to their design and capabilities.