Is my equation for projectile trajectory accurate?

In summary, the equation that I derived determines the trajectory of a projectile. When plugged into desmos, it seemed to make sense. However, I still can't be sure. I am testing the equation to see if it predicts the correct location of the projectile. The easiest solution would be to use rubber bands, but they don't seem to be as accurate as springs.
person123
I derived an equation for the trajectory of a projectile. Given the height and distance of the projectile, and the initial velocity, it determines the initial angle. When plugging it into desmos, it seemed to make sense (https://www.desmos.com/calculator/pfylvs4tau), but I still can't be sure.

I first determined the vertex of the parabola. I knew two points of the parabola and the derivative at one of these points. This gave me the following:

2ziqx5s.png

30kfzit.png

where d is the horizantal distance from the target, l is the vertical distance, and θ is the initial angle.

Since I knew the initial kinetic energy is the same is the product of the mass, acceleration due to gravity, and the height k, I was able to solve for the velocity v. By moving around the variables in this equation, it gave me

106c9kk.png

Does my method seem correct? Do the equations seem correct? (There's also the problem that I can't get theta completely to one side, although that's not really a physics problem).

Attachments

• 4sd3t5.png
    4sd3t5.png
    1,007 bytes · Views: 445
  • equation for h.png
    equation for h.png
    993 bytes · Views: 383
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If k is the height, what's h?
person123 said:
Since I knew the initial kinetic energy is the same is the product of the mass, acceleration due to gravity, and the height k,
This is incorrect unless it's a vertical shot. The change in kinetic energy is equal to the change in gravitational potential, but the kinetic energy at the top of the trajectory is not zero in general.

Ibix said:
If k is the height, what's h?

h is the horizontal distance from the object's initial location to the vertex of the parabola.

Ibix said:
This is incorrect unless it's a vertical shot. The change in kinetic energy is equal to the change in gravitational potential, but the kinetic energy at the top of the trajectory is not zero in general.

Sorry about that—that is a problem with the explanation of my work. The potential energy at the vertex would be equal to half of the product of mass and the initial vertical velocity squared. My work uses this instead of what I wrote previously.

So - you are launching from x=h, y=l to hit a target at x=0, y=0. The shot is initially launched at speed v at angle ##\theta## to the horizontal. The peak of the arc is x=d, y=k.

Is that right?

No. You initially launch at position (0,0). For the peak of the arc, I just used the standard notation for a vertex of a parabola, (h,k). The target is the coordinate (d,l). (I used l because I was running out of letters). As you said, the target is launched with velocity v at an angle θ above the horizontal.

Sorry - this slipped off my todo list.

I agree all your expressions. To solve your last one, I suggest backing up a couple of steps. You'll have had something like $$\frac{d^2}{\cos^2\theta}=\frac{2v^2}{g}(d\tan\theta-l)$$If you multiply both sides by ##\cos^2\theta## and apply double-angle formulae you should be able to get an expression in terms of the sine and cosine of ##2\theta##. That ought to be solvable.

I have decided on putting this equation to the test. I'm going to shoot a projectile (a marble) at different angles and velocities and see if it lands at the predicted location. I decided on using a makeshift slingshot to propel the marble, but I have a question on what to make it out of.

The easiest solution would be to use rubber bands. However, it seems that rubber bands don't follow Hooke's law with nearly as much accuracy as would an actual spring (http://c21.phas.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/rubber_band_write_up.pdf https://www.wired.com/2012/08/do-rubber-bands-act-like-springs/). I'm wondering if that would be a significant enough inaccuracy to make my results unreliable—it's quite difficult to extrapolate the data provided for my situation.

I would use springs instead, but the only ones I found were really too stiff for this experiment.

Last edited:
Edit:

I tested the spring constant for rubber bands, and it gave me something pretty linear. I did it for both one rubber band and 4 rubber bands attached in a chain. Here are the results:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/w0dd8dpuf87.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is the equation for trajectory?

The equation for trajectory is a mathematical equation that describes the path of a moving object through space. It takes into account the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the object, as well as external factors such as air resistance and gravity.

2. How is the equation for trajectory derived?

The equation for trajectory is derived using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. It also takes into account the specific conditions and forces acting on the object, such as air resistance and gravity, to accurately predict its path.

3. What are the variables in the equation for trajectory?

The variables in the equation for trajectory include time, displacement, velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting on the object. These variables are represented by letters such as t, s, v, a, and F, respectively.

4. How is the equation for trajectory used in real-life applications?

The equation for trajectory is used in various real-life applications, such as predicting the flight path of a projectile, calculating the trajectory of a space shuttle, or designing the trajectory of a rocket launch. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the trajectory of a soccer ball or a golf ball.

5. What are the limitations of the equation for trajectory?

The equation for trajectory has some limitations, as it assumes that the object is moving in a vacuum and does not take into account complex factors such as wind, air resistance, and changes in mass or shape of the object. It also assumes that the object is a point mass and does not consider the effects of rotation or spin. Therefore, in real-life situations, the trajectory may not be exactly as predicted by the equation.