1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Short in Wires with 2 Different Resistances

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An underground telephone cable, consisting of a pair of wires, has suffered a short somewhere along its length (at point P in the Figure). The telephone cable is 6.00 km long, and in order to determine where the short is, a techician first measures the resistance between terminals AB; then he measures the resistance across the terminals CD. The first measurement yields 10.00 Ohm; the second 95.00 Ohm. Where is the short? Give your answer as a distance from point C.

2. Relevant equations
    I = V/R
    Vtotal = I (R1 + R2)
    ohm = V/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I have no idea where to even start with this question. I would know how to calculate the total voltage, but this problem doesn't give any voltage, and I don't know what length the ohm refers to? Also, it doesn't even look like AB are attached or CD are attached. Can someone help get me started? Thanks!!! I attached a picture of the problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The resistance of a wire is proportional to the length of the wire.
    If x km is the distance of the short from C, then
    95 ohm = k*2x.
    Similarly write down the expression for the resistance across AB and solve for x.

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3
    What is k? The 8.98*10^9 constant?

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4
    and did you use 2x because there are two wires?

6. Feb 8, 2010 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Νο. You know that
    R = ρ*L/A. So k = ρ/Α, which is constant for a given wire.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6
    Oh, I knew the resistance = ro*length / pi r^2, but i didn't know what Resistance is ro*length over area?

8. Feb 8, 2010 #7
    Sorry, I'm still completely confused. I'm not sure what I'm solving for using the second equation...

9. Feb 8, 2010 #8

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

At P thew wires are short. If the CP = x. Length of the wire CPD = 2x. So the esiatance of this wire is
    R(CD) = (ρo/A)*2x. Similarly
    R(AB) = (ρo/A)*2(L-x).
    Solve these two equations to find x.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook