How Do You Calculate the Location of a Short in an Underground Cable?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Liketothink
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An underground telephone cable, consisting of a pair of wires, has suffered a short somewhere along its length (at point P in the Figure). The telephone cable is 4.00 km long, and in order to determine where the short is, a technician first measures the resistance between terminals AB; then he measures the resistance across the terminals CD. The first measurement yields 15.00 Ω; the second 105.00 Ω. Where is the short? Give your answer as a distance from point C. Assume that the telephone wires are of uniform diameter.


Homework Equations


I'm sure which equations to use.
R=sigmaL/A, I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure how to start on this problem. I know a short circuit is when the resistance is equal to zero, but if it is zero than length ends up being zero due to the linear relationship. I don't get this problem. Please help in any way that you can.
 
Attachments
  • ad9fe98ddb5ae9a992d1c87d515b14707d1cd00fa7e2628af98086cc3138745118a6daa38b699f4a492bbf208a89ad3d.gif
    ad9fe98ddb5ae9a992d1c87d515b14707d1cd00fa7e2628af98086cc3138745118a6daa38b699f4a492bbf208a89ad3d.gif
    694 bytes · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
If AP is nearly equal to BP and is equal to x, Then what is the resistance across AB?
What is the length CP and DP? What is the resistance across CD?
 
R=sigma(x)/A, but area is not given either. I really don't understand.
 
there's a short between the 2 conductors in the cable, but the resistance from A to B is not 0 because the current still has to go from A to P and from P to B through a long cable.

you don't know sigma/A, but it's the same everywhere. If point P is x metres from C then the resistance of the wire CP is (sigma/A)x [itex]\Omega[/tex] . the 2 measurements will give you 2 equations that you kan use to find (sigma/A) and x[/itex]