Explaining Apparent Superluminal Neutrino Speeds as Quantum Weak Measurement

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Abstract
In summary, this conversation discusses a recently published abstract that suggests that apparent superluminal neutrino speeds may not be able to be explained as a quantum weak measurement. The participants in the conversation find the abstract humorous and entertaining, with one suggesting that it reminds them of a philosophy exam question. However, they also acknowledge that the first author of the paper is a well-known expert in quantum measurement theory and that the rest of the paper is written conventionally.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Title: Can apparent superluminal neutrino speeds be explained as a quantum weak measurement?

Abstract: Probably not

http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2832

Physics news on Phys.org
Hahaha, that's awesome.

That's brilliant! I hope it gets accepted for publication like that.

hahahahahaha that's epic!

epic. but "superluminal"? Yeah i get it, but it seems a bit obtuse.

Short, yes, but I see room for improvement.

It reminds me of an exam question that some philosophy student got full marks for ...
Q: Define risk.
A: this

billiards said:
epic. but "superluminal"? Yeah i get it, but it seems a bit obtuse.

That's the standard adjective to use in this case. Not obtuse at all.

billiards said:
It reminds me of an exam question that some philosophy student got full marks for ...
Q: Define risk.
A: this

Or even, http://www.studential.com/bio/getps.asp?ps=1492". Philosophers seem to be very risky individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack21222 said:
That's brilliant! I hope it gets accepted for publication like that.

It might very well get accepted like that. Note that the first author is Sir Michael Berry from Bristol Univerist, (of "Berry phase" fame); so it wasn't written by some unknown PhD Student.
Berry is one of the leading experts of the world when it comes to quantum measurement theory, and the rest of the paper is quite conventionall when it comes to how it is written.

FAQ: Explaining Apparent Superluminal Neutrino Speeds as Quantum Weak Measurement

1. What is the theory behind explaining apparent superluminal neutrino speeds as quantum weak measurement?

The theory suggests that the apparent superluminal speeds observed in neutrinos could be explained by a phenomenon known as quantum weak measurement. This theory proposes that the act of measuring a quantum system can affect its state, allowing particles to travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. How does quantum weak measurement affect the speed of neutrinos?

According to this theory, the act of measuring a neutrino's position or velocity can alter its state, resulting in an apparent increase in speed. This is because the act of measurement disturbs the quantum system, causing the neutrino to take a different path and reach its destination faster than it would without measurement.

3. Is there any evidence to support this theory?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence to support the theory of explaining superluminal neutrino speeds as quantum weak measurement. However, some experiments have shown that weak measurements can indeed affect the state of a quantum system, lending some credibility to this theory.

4. Are there any alternative explanations for the observed superluminal neutrino speeds?

There are a few alternative explanations that have been proposed, including experimental errors, faulty equipment, and statistical anomalies. However, these explanations have been largely debunked, and the theory of quantum weak measurement remains one of the most plausible explanations for the observed superluminal neutrino speeds.

5. How could this theory impact our understanding of physics and the speed of light?

If this theory is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of physics and the speed of light. It could potentially lead to a re-evaluation of the principles of relativity and open up new possibilities for faster-than-light travel. However, more research and evidence are needed before any concrete conclusions can be drawn.

Back