Correction; it is man's practical approach.
Agreed. But think it this way. If I am suppose a person who simply wants to calculate the trajectory of a thrown ball or the speed of the ball when it hits the bat; can I go and consider every single particle that makes the ball, try to understand and calculate the complex interactions between the atoms and molecules and then pass my result? It is far easier to understand the behaviour of a system of particles as it exists as a whole, not the individual particles inside them.
Apart from that, a single particle does not show the properties of a bulk system because macroscopic properties arise due to particle-particle interaction. A single particle cannot interact with anything and hence does not show macroscopic behaviour.
You cannot say that if I go down to the atomic scale and squash a gold atom it will flatten because, don't we know that gold is very malleable.