1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shortest period of a simple pendulum

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    A uniform disk of radius 0.2m and 5.6 kg mass has a small hole distance d from the disk's center that can serve as a pivot point. What should be the distance d so that this physical pendulum will have the shortest possible period? What will be the period at this distance?

So, I know that the period is defined as: T=2[tex]\Pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgd}}[/tex]
    And I know that the moment of Inertia is I=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mr[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The first part of the question, which I omitted, asks to find the distance d for a specified period and I got that portion with no problem. I figured that I needed to take the derivative of the equation and set it equal to zero to find the minimum period but when I do that I simple come up with zero... Not quite sure where I am making the error here!!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

All I can deduce from your equation is that as d→0, mgd→0 so the fraction of I/mgd→0 and T→0 as well.

4. Aug 29, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I is the pendulum's moment of inertia around the pivot, not around the center of mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook