Should add the probabilities or multiply them?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a draw occurring in a football match between Team A and Team B, given the probabilities of each team winning. The question is whether to add or multiply the probabilities and then subtract from 1. A hint is given to consider the sample space of events and the conclusion is that the probability of a draw is 5/11.
Lyn05
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I need help on this question:

Team A is playing a football match against Team B. if the probability that A will win is 4/11 and the probability that B will win is 2/11, find the probability that the match will be a draw.

I'm not sure if I should add the probabilities or multiply them, and then subtract the result from 1.

So it's either:

A) P(match will be a draw)= 1-(4/11 +2/11)
=5/11

or:

B) P(match will be a draw)= 1-(4/11)(2/11)
=113/141

Thanks a lot for any assistance provided!

Ps: Is this considered as asking for answers directly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Here is a Hint:

Let Pa be the probability that team A wins.
Let Pb be the probability that team b wins.
Let Pd be the probability of a draw.

You sample space has only three events: { A wins, B wins, Draw}

Exactly one of the three events will happen. In other words "A wins OR B wins OR Draw".

So, what can you say about Pa + Pb + Pd ?

Oh! So Pa + Pb + Pd = 1, therefore Pd= 1-(4/11 +2/11)
=5/11
Thank you very much!

1. Should I add or multiply probabilities when calculating compound events?

It depends on whether the events are independent or dependent. If the events are independent, you should multiply the probabilities. If the events are dependent, you should add the probabilities.

2. How do I know if two events are independent or dependent?

If the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event, then they are independent. If the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other event, then they are dependent.

3. Can I add probabilities if the events are mutually exclusive?

No, you cannot add probabilities if the events are mutually exclusive. This is because the events cannot occur at the same time, so the addition of their probabilities would result in a probability greater than 1.

4. Why do I multiply probabilities for independent events?

Multiplying probabilities for independent events takes into account the fact that the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event. This allows us to calculate the probability of both events occurring together.

5. Is it always necessary to add or multiply probabilities?

No, it is not always necessary. It depends on the specific scenario and whether the events are independent or dependent. In some cases, other mathematical operations may be required to calculate the probability of compound events.