Should I average the following when calculating heat capacity?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the specific heat capacity of copper using multiple trials and incorporating uncertainty calculations and percent difference. The expert advises not to average the mass of water or temperature difference, and to take the average of the five specific heat measurements. They also explain the process for calculating the uncertainty and percent difference.
shredder666

Homework Statement

Make that specific heat capacity xD

Well anyways, I did 5 trials trying to calculate the specific heat capacity of copper. I measured the temperature of metal, initial temperature of water, final temperature of water, calorimeter mass, mass of water etc.

When I'm calculating the specific heat capacity with mc(triangle)t = mc(triangle)t

should I average mass of the water?

Should I average the temperature difference?

Homework Equations

Also I am required to make uncertainty calculations as well as percent difference.

How do I carry uncertainty into percent difference? (don't know if that makes sense or not)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I did some rough calculation with the above averaged and came pretty close :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You should not average the mass of the water and should not average the temperature difference. I assume that your five measurements were independent of each other, that is you refilled your calorimeter with water and reheated the piece of copper. Averaging these is meaningless. The only average that makes sense is the five values of the specific heat that you got from your measurements.

[tex] Pct. Diff=\frac{Final - Initial }{Initial }\times 100[/tex]

Last edited:
ok thanks, but i wasn't asking for the percent difference, I was asking how to carry the +/- 's (uncertainty) into the percent difference equation.

Oh yea, if I would to do them individually how would I average the uncertainty?

Last edited:
With five measurements, you could take your percent uncertainty to be about two standard deviations from the mean.

I have no idea what that is lol, never applied statistics to physics and don't know how =/

But is it necessary to carry the +/- into the percent difference?

I've never seen a a% +/- x% difference before

Find the mean or average of your specific heat measurements.
Subtract the average from each of the five measurements.
Square each difference.
Add the squares.
Take the square root of the sum.
Divide by the number of measurements.
Multiply by two.
Find what percent of the average the last number is. That is what I would call the "plus or minus" percent difference.

alright! thanks for the very clear instructions sorry if I'm noob :D

1. What is heat capacity and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is an important factor in scientific calculations because it helps determine the amount of energy needed for a system to undergo a temperature change.

2. How is heat capacity calculated?

Heat capacity is calculated by dividing the amount of heat absorbed by a substance by the change in temperature of the substance.

3. When should I average values when calculating heat capacity?

You should average values when calculating heat capacity if you have multiple data points for the temperature change and heat absorbed. This helps to reduce errors and provide a more accurate result.

4. Are there any cases where averaging values for heat capacity may not be appropriate?

Yes, averaging values for heat capacity may not be appropriate if the data points are significantly different from each other. In this case, it may be better to use a single data point or to investigate the discrepancies further.

5. Can heat capacity be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as pressure, volume, and the presence of impurities can affect the heat capacity of a substance. It is important to take these factors into account when calculating heat capacity.