Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I be able to reach 3.0 GHz with my C2Q Q9400?

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    With my computer's warranty expiring within a few months, and a new GIGABYTE motherboard with great overclocking abilities, I was wondering if I would be able to run my Core 2 Quad Q9400 from it's stock 2.66 GHz to a modest 3.00 GHz using it's stock air cooler? If I wanted to go further with an overclock, what aftermarket cooler would you recommend? Right now, my CPU idles at around 34 *C, and tops out at about 45 *C when running Crysis. I'm not aiming for 4.0 GHz, so I don't need water cooling. What is the maximum operational temperature for the Core 2 Quad?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2
    Just have a look at the temperature in real time. Your motherboard MUST have this feature to set an alarm once a your set temperature has been reached, then it's time to stop overclocking for a wile and give your processor rest.

Usually it's not a good idea to get the temperature of your processor above 85°. See the maximum your processor supports and that should be the safe range from the company.

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    With the stock cooler you should easily be able to hit 3.0GHz. I'd recommend either a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer or a Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120. The Noctua NH-U12 is also good, but could get a bit better cooling performance if they utilized more fins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook