Should I be able to reach 3.0 GHz with my C2Q Q9400?

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
The_Absolute
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
With my computer's warranty expiring within a few months, and a new GIGABYTE motherboard with great overclocking abilities, I was wondering if I would be able to run my Core 2 Quad Q9400 from it's stock 2.66 GHz to a modest 3.00 GHz using it's stock air cooler? If I wanted to go further with an overclock, what aftermarket cooler would you recommend? Right now, my CPU idles at around 34 *C, and tops out at about 45 *C when running Crysis. I'm not aiming for 4.0 GHz, so I don't need water cooling. What is the maximum operational temperature for the Core 2 Quad?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just have a look at the temperature in real time. Your motherboard MUST have this feature to set an alarm once a your set temperature has been reached, then it's time to stop overclocking for a wile and give your processor rest.

Usually it's not a good idea to get the temperature of your processor above 85°. See the maximum your processor supports and that should be the safe range from the company.
 
The_Absolute said:
With my computer's warranty expiring within a few months, and a new GIGABYTE motherboard with great overclocking abilities, I was wondering if I would be able to run my Core 2 Quad Q9400 from it's stock 2.66 GHz to a modest 3.00 GHz using it's stock air cooler? If I wanted to go further with an overclock, what aftermarket cooler would you recommend? Right now, my CPU idles at around 34 *C, and tops out at about 45 *C when running Crysis. I'm not aiming for 4.0 GHz, so I don't need water cooling. What is the maximum operational temperature for the Core 2 Quad?

With the stock cooler you should easily be able to hit 3.0GHz. I'd recommend either a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer or a Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120. The Noctua NH-U12 is also good, but could get a bit better cooling performance if they utilized more fins.