Should I Get Both of Dirac's Quantum Mechanics Books?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of two quantum mechanics books written by Paul Dirac, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics." The person speaking recommends getting both books as they are considered must-haves for any physicist's personal library. They also mention that Dirac's books are at a similar level to Sakurai's textbook and are among the best textbooks on quantum mechanics. The conversation ends with a reflection on the excitement surrounding the discovery of the quantum theory in the past and how it has evolved in the modern scientific landscape.
doggydan42
Hello,

I remembered once hearing of a must-have quantum mechanics book by Paul Dirac. I don't remember if it was his Principles of QM or Lectures on QM. Based on the table of contents, I believe it was the Principles of QM book; however, looking at both I was thinking about getting his Lectures on QM. Is it worth getting both books?

Any thoughts on both these books would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get both books as a "must have" in a (future) physicist's personal library. Dirac was almost 50 when he singlehandedly derived the theory of mechanical systems with constraints, so his "Lectures of Quantum Mechanics" is the birth book on this highly important topic, pretty much as "Principles of Quantum Mechanics 1st Ed.1930 was the first lucid exposé of QM, with his pretty abstract and unfriendly notation (all those xis made my eyes hurt).

dextercioby said:
Get both books as a "must have" in a (future) physicist's personal library. Dirac was almost 50 when he singlehandedly derived the theory of mechanical systems with constraints, so his "Lectures of Quantum Mechanics" is the birth book on this highly important topic, pretty much as "Principles of Quantum Mechanics 1st Ed.1930 was the first lucid exposé of QM, with his pretty abstract and unfriendly notation (all those xis made my eyes hurt).
I will definitely get both. At what level are both books? Is it at the level of Sakurai, Griffiths, in between, or more advanced?

I'd say the level is like Sakurai (and in contradistinction to Griffiths rigorous enough to be understandable), and it's among the best textbooks on QT ever written (I only now "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" though. I guess, I've to look at the other book too!

I remember reading Dirac's book in the university library and I could literally sense from the text the excitement of the scientists of the time about the new quantum theory with lots of unknowns to be discovered. Unfortunately there isn't anything equivalent to that in today's physical sciences. The unknowns are mostly in specialized fields that only a fraction of physicists really understand.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Should I Get Both of Dirac's Quantum Mechanics Books?

1. Should I have prior knowledge of quantum mechanics before reading Dirac's books?

No, Dirac's books are written for beginners and do not require any prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. However, a basic understanding of mathematics and physics concepts is helpful.

2. Is it necessary to read both of Dirac's books?

No, it is not necessary to read both of Dirac's books. "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" is considered the more comprehensive and foundational book, while "The Development of Quantum Mechanics" focuses more on the historical development of the theory.

3. Are Dirac's books still relevant today?

Yes, Dirac's books are still relevant today as they provide a fundamental understanding of quantum mechanics, which is a crucial aspect of modern physics.

4. Are Dirac's books easy to understand?

Dirac's books can be challenging to understand, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics and physics. However, with dedication and effort, they can be comprehended by beginners.

5. Can I use Dirac's books as a reference?

Yes, Dirac's books can serve as a valuable reference for understanding the principles and development of quantum mechanics. However, it is recommended to supplement them with other resources for a more comprehensive understanding.