1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I get degree(s) in these majors why or why not?

1. May 22, 2016 #1
    I have recently finished my junior year in high school. I am seriously considering astrophysics, nuclear engineering, and structural engineering. I would love to get a degree in all of them if possible but,
    which one should i get first to help me get a job to afford to get the others?
    what about salaries which ones pay better and why?
    would it even be beneficial to have that combination of majors?
    after getting the first one should i get bachelors in the others or masters? can I?
    Also if other majors may be more beneficial to combine that are similar to the ones mentioned what would they be?
    What colleges would be good for me to consider with those majors? i live in oklahoma but if cheep enough have no problem going out of state.
    I also have interest in air traffic control how would that come into play?
    If this makes a difference i really enjoy geometry and physics but not so much chemistry,would that suggest me not studying one of those majors and/or suggest other majors to consider?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've picked three areas which don't have much overlap among them, so it's difficult to recommend that you should get a degree in all three, unless you want to be some sort of professional student for most of your life.

You can get a good job in either of the two engineering fields with a bachelor's degree, but the astrophysics will probably take a graduate degree and maybe a doctorate to get a good job in that field.

I'm pretty sure that air traffic control will have no influence on astrophysics (unless personal space craft become a thing) or nuclear engineering, but if you decide on structural engineering, you might be called on to design an ATC tower for an airport someday.

The most important thing at this stage of your life is to take a few minutes and try to focus on what you want to do as a career. Rank your interests on a scale which runs from just interest as a hobby to interest as in a career, where you work at it 5 days a week all year.

If you find that concentration is not your thing, I would consult with a physician. They have some wonderful therapies now for people who can't focus.

4. May 23, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

jason5699,
    You are young. Best to start with Physics and Engineering and learn about what your goal should be. You can decide how to narrow your focus as you go. Physics, good for understanding. Engineering, good for getting a job. Engineering without understanding has very little meaning. Physics is still good for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted