Should I just drop my physics class?

In summary: It's usually not a big deal, especially if you have a good reason for it.In summary, the speaker is struggling with an algebra-based physics course that they do not need for their major. They feel that their professor is giving an excessive amount of work compared to other professors and it is hindering their performance in other classes. They are seeking advice on whether or not to drop the course and what effect it may have on their future assessments.
Zanar
Trying to keep this as short as possible, I'd like to be an engineer, and I'm currently taking an algebra-based physics course. It's not a class I need for my major (of course, I will need calc-based), but I've already passed the drop deadline, so I'll receive a "W" on my transcript. It's been four (going on five) weeks of school, and the workload is extremely overwhelming for a class I don't need. I think the problem with this is largely due to my professor—compared to the workload of the other people in my labs, their professors hardly give any work that goes beyond having a fundamental (mathematical) understanding of each section. Basically, all the other algebra-based physics professors are a world easier on their students when giving work than mine is.

Right now, I also have a variety of computer classes (largely programming) and a math class in my schedule. Those are classes I actually do need to take, and this physics class is hindering me from receiving the A grades I should be able to get.

Now, don't get me wrong, I find that I REALLY love the material in this physics course—I truly think it's all incredibly intriguing! But at the rate my professor is handing out work, I don't think I can keep up with all my classes the way I'd like to. Opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should see if you can talk to a guidance councillor type at your school. It may be that dropping a class at this point is a big black mark. Or it may not be a big deal. It's hard to evaluate this without detailed info on your school.

Consider asking the prof about this. Maybe there is some reason the work seems harder for you than it should. Maybe you are missing some "secret weapons" or some such. Or maybe you missed a prerequisite class.

Thanks for the reply. Anyway, I'm only in community college. Can anyone here give any insight on transferring with a "W"? I'll ask a counselor, but I just want to hear more of people's experience with that on here.

It's actually not that the work seems harder for /me/ than it should because this is exactly how the majority of my /class/ feels about this course. When it comes to figuring out the "physics" (deciphering problems before actually doing the math), my class is essentially within the same range of abilities with each other, though I'd say I have a slightly better /conceptual/ understanding of the material, which helps with getting through the actual physics. I've also surpassed the prerequisite by quite a bit, which was only a college-level algebra course. My professor also doesn't provide outside help, and she has stated this in every class (no office hours), and she also doesn't reply to her emails until a week or two later.

A "W" won't have any effect on future assessments, if that's what you really want to know.

People withdraw from courses for all kinds of reasons.

As a scientist, my advice would be to carefully consider your options before making a decision. Dropping a class is a big decision and should not be taken lightly. It's important to consider your long-term goals and how this physics class fits into them.

First, think about why you wanted to take this physics class in the first place. If it's because you have a genuine interest in the material and it aligns with your career goals as an engineer, then dropping it may not be the best choice. However, if you're only taking it because you think it will look good on your resume or because you feel pressure to take it, then it may be worth considering dropping it.

Next, talk to your professor and see if there is any possibility for you to improve your grade or reduce the workload. Perhaps they can offer some tips for managing the workload or provide extra help outside of class. Additionally, consider reaching out to your classmates and see how they are managing the workload and if they have any strategies that could help you.

If after considering all your options, you still feel like dropping the class is the best decision for your academic success, then go ahead and do so. It's important to prioritize your mental health and overall well-being. Just make sure to communicate with your academic advisor and understand the potential consequences of receiving a "W" on your transcript.

In the end, it's important to remember that dropping a class does not define your intelligence or your potential as a scientist or engineer. It's important to focus on the classes that are necessary for your major and that will help you achieve your long-term goals. Good luck with your decision.

1. Should I drop my physics class if I am struggling?

It depends on the reason for your struggle. If you are having difficulty understanding the material or keeping up with the workload, it may be beneficial to seek help from your instructor or a tutor before making a decision to drop the class. However, if your struggle is due to other factors such as time constraints or conflicting priorities, it may be necessary to drop the class in order to relieve some of the stress and focus on your other responsibilities.

2. Will dropping my physics class affect my future academic or career prospects?

It depends on the requirements of your academic program or career goals. Some programs or jobs may require a certain number of physics credits or a passing grade in a physics class. If you drop the class and do not fulfill these requirements, it could potentially affect your future prospects. It is important to consider your long-term goals before making a decision to drop the class.

3. How will dropping my physics class affect my GPA?

If you drop the class early enough, it may not affect your GPA at all. However, if you drop the class after the deadline to withdraw without penalty, you may receive a "W" on your transcript, which does not affect your GPA. If you drop the class after the deadline and receive a failing grade, it will negatively impact your GPA. It is important to check your school's policies on dropping classes and the deadlines for doing so.

4. Can I retake the physics class if I drop it now?

Yes, you can retake the physics class in a future semester if you drop it now. However, keep in mind that you may have to pay for the class again and it may still affect your academic progress if it is a required course for your program. It is important to consider all of your options and speak with your academic advisor before making a decision to drop the class.

5. Will dropping my physics class affect my financial aid?

It depends on the requirements of your financial aid and how many credits you are currently enrolled in. If dropping the physics class puts you below the required number of credits for your financial aid, it may affect your eligibility. It is important to check with your financial aid office before making a decision to drop the class.