1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I just drop my physics class?

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    Trying to keep this as short as possible, I'd like to be an engineer, and I'm currently taking an algebra-based physics course. It's not a class I need for my major (of course, I will need calc-based), but I've already passed the drop deadline, so I'll receive a "W" on my transcript. It's been four (going on five) weeks of school, and the workload is extremely overwhelming for a class I don't need. I think the problem with this is largely due to my professor—compared to the workload of the other people in my labs, their professors hardly give any work that goes beyond having a fundamental (mathematical) understanding of each section. Basically, all the other algebra-based physics professors are a world easier on their students when giving work than mine is.

Right now, I also have a variety of computer classes (largely programming) and a math class in my schedule. Those are classes I actually do need to take, and this physics class is hindering me from receiving the A grades I should be able to get.

Now, don't get me wrong, I find that I REALLY love the material in this physics course—I truly think it's all incredibly intriguing! But at the rate my professor is handing out work, I don't think I can keep up with all my classes the way I'd like to. Opinions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You should see if you can talk to a guidance councillor type at your school. It may be that dropping a class at this point is a big black mark. Or it may not be a big deal. It's hard to evaluate this without detailed info on your school.

Consider asking the prof about this. Maybe there is some reason the work seems harder for you than it should. Maybe you are missing some "secret weapons" or some such. Or maybe you missed a prerequisite class.

4. Sep 19, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Anyway, I'm only in community college. Can anyone here give any insight on transferring with a "W"? I'll ask a counselor, but I just want to hear more of people's experience with that on here.

It's actually not that the work seems harder for /me/ than it should because this is exactly how the majority of my /class/ feels about this course. When it comes to figuring out the "physics" (deciphering problems before actually doing the math), my class is essentially within the same range of abilities with each other, though I'd say I have a slightly better /conceptual/ understanding of the material, which helps with getting through the actual physics. I've also surpassed the prerequisite by quite a bit, which was only a college-level algebra course. My professor also doesn't provide outside help, and she has stated this in every class (no office hours), and she also doesn't reply to her emails until a week or two later.

5. Sep 19, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A "W" won't have any effect on future assessments, if that's what you really want to know.

People withdraw from courses for all kinds of reasons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook