Study Physics: Career Opportunities & More

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's interest in studying physics and potential career opportunities in the field. They also discussed the misconception that physics has died down and the possibility of bridging the gap between relativity and string theory. The speaker also asked for book recommendations for studying quantum physics and inquired about job opportunities for theoretical physicists outside of universities. The conversation ended with a discussion about passion and hard work in the field of physics.
matt4584
Hi everyone. New to the forums and I'm really intrigued by quantum physics and physics as a whole. I'm curious as to what career opportunities I would have if I study physics? Also, it seems to me like physics has died down? I don't understand why though? Isn't there still soooooo much to discover, such as bridging the gap between relativity and string theory and quantum physics? J

Physics news on Phys.org
matt4584 said:
Hi everyone. New to the forums and I'm really intrigued by quantum physics and physics as a whole. I'm curious as to what career opportunities I would have if I study physics? Also, it seems to me like physics has died down? I don't understand why though? Isn't there still soooooo much to discover, such as bridging the gap between relativity and string theory and quantum physics? J
:welcome:
I'm not sure I'd say physics has died down. It's definitely alive and kickin' here at PF! There is for certain a lot more to discover, such as the gap between "general" relativity and quantum physics (as special relativity is already compatible with quantum physics).

As for career choices, it all depends on the type of physics you are most interested in. Obviously, you could become a physicist. But there are many different types, such as quantum, theoretical, particle, astro-, etc. Maybe if you are into teaching, you could become a physics teacher.

Comeback City said:
:welcome:
I'm not sure I'd say physics has died down. It's definitely alive and kickin' here at PF! There is for certain a lot more to discover, such as the gap between "general" relativity and quantum physics (as special relativity is already compatible with quantum physics).

As for career choices, it all depends on the type of physics you are most interested in. Obviously, you could become a physicist. But there are many different types, such as quantum, theoretical, particle, astro-, etc. Maybe if you are into teaching, you could become a physics teacher.
Thanks for the response! Another question, are there any books that you would recommend I get into to start my journey. I have already taken physics courses, I'm talking about introduction to quantum physics and such. Also, who do theoretical physicists work for, besides universities? I'm interested but it seems to me like the only need for them is at universities? Are there companies that employ theoretical physicists to do research and strictly try to make new discoveries? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

matt4584 said:
Thanks for the response! Another question, are there any books that you would recommend I get into to start my journey. I have already taken physics courses, I'm talking about introduction to quantum physics and such. Also, who do theoretical physicists work for, besides universities? I'm interested but it seems to me like the only need for them is at universities? Are there companies that employ theoretical physicists to do research and strictly try to make new discoveries? Sorry if these are dumb questions.
I'm not sure what would be the best book to start off with for QM, so I'll let someone else answer that part (I am interested myself in hearing an answer, as I haven't gotten as far as I'd have liked to yet in my personal QM studies). For theoretical physicists, I'm not sure what "companies" would employ them (did you have any ideas about this?). Certainly there may be theoretical physicists who work at particle colliders, such as at the LHC in Switzerland.

Moderator's Note: This thread has been moved to Career Guidance.

matt4584 said:
Also, it seems to me like physics has died down? I don't understand why though? Isn't there still soooooo much to discover, such as bridging the gap between relativity and string theory and quantum physics? J

@matt4584 if you want to discuss this particular topic further, it should be in a separate thread. Let's please keep this thread focused on the career question.

Do you like physics?

Do you like math?

Are you willing to work hard at the parts you may not like?

There will always be careers for people who work hard enough to be very good at quantitative problem solving.

Would it break your heart to earn a degree in physics but then work as a teacher or in more of an engineering job than your favorite area of physics?

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the natural world.

2. What career opportunities are available for those who study physics?

There are a wide range of career opportunities available for those who study physics. Some common career paths include research in academia or government institutions, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and science communication.

3. Is studying physics a good choice for me?

Whether studying physics is a good choice for you depends on your interests, skills, and career goals. Physics can be a challenging subject, but it offers a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are valuable in many industries.

4. How can studying physics benefit me in my everyday life?

Studying physics can help you better understand the world around you and the natural phenomena that occur in your everyday life. It can also improve your logical reasoning and quantitative skills, which can be useful in making informed decisions and solving problems.

5. Can I study physics if I don't have a strong math background?

A strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying physics, as it is a highly quantitative and mathematical field. However, it is possible to improve your math skills through practice and hard work, and many universities offer introductory courses for students who may not have a strong math background.