Should I take a semester off to

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Semester
In summary, this person is thinking about taking a semester off to study math on their own and they are unsure if it will help their foundations grow. They suggest using vacation time for this instead.
Miike012
This is a very serious question to me and I would like some advice...
I am thinking of taking an entire semester off (4 months total) to study math on my own.
Currently I am taking calculus 2 averaging 97%, although many people might consider that gratifying, which I'm not saying it isn't, I don't feel like my skills are where I would like them to be. If I decide to take a semester off I will study

Algebra: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402159064/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Trig: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1418185094/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Calc 1,2 : https://www.amazon.com/dp/0495011665/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Geometry: Never taken a class.

University Physics I: Mechanics

and (IF I have time) discrete math or elementary lineary algebra.

My goal is to gain a solid foundation by filling in any gaps that I have, by doing this I hope to gain a higher understanding of math which will benefit me when I have to take upper level math classes, physics classes and academia in general.

Currently I have not decided on a career path but I know it will fall in the line of mathematics and in my opinion, with a stronger foundation will come a much greater understanding in the material I will face through the upcoming years of my education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your foundations will grow upon taking more advanced classes, like a rigourous Real Analysis class. I don't know if four months of solving integrals will add much to your foundations(?)
But more sensibly, why don't you use your vacation time for that then?

I don't know if this applies to you or not but one thing I'd suggest is to make sure you won't have to start paying back student loans if you take a semester off.

mr. vodka said:
I think your foundations will grow upon taking more advanced classes, like a rigourous Real Analysis class. I don't know if four months of solving integrals will add much to your foundations(?)
But more sensibly, why don't you use your vacation time for that then?

This is true, but I will be taking other classes during this time.. I might have to take fewer classes over summer so I have more time for math.

Maybe you could just take a lighter courseload and use your free time for studying? I think you'd be better off doing things like linear algebra and discrete math in a course setting, and clearly your foundations are at least adequate for your current pursuits if you're getting that high of a grade in calculus.

1. Should I take a semester off to travel?

If you have the financial means and a clear plan for how this experience will benefit your personal and academic growth, then taking a semester off to travel can be a great opportunity. However, keep in mind that it may delay your graduation and you should communicate with your academic advisor before making a decision.

2. Will taking a semester off affect my financial aid or scholarships?

It depends on the specific policies of your school and financial aid providers. Before taking a semester off, it's important to research and understand how it may impact your financial aid and scholarships. You may need to reapply for them upon your return.

3. What are the benefits of taking a semester off?

Taking a semester off can provide you with a break from the academic rigor and allow you to pursue other interests or experiences. It can also give you time to reflect and gain clarity on your academic and career goals. Additionally, it may provide an opportunity for personal growth and self-discovery.

4. Can I still take online classes during my semester off?

Many universities offer online classes that can be taken during a semester off. However, it's important to communicate with your academic advisor and check with your school's policies to ensure that these classes will count towards your degree and not affect your status as a full-time student.

5. How will taking a semester off impact my future job prospects?

Taking a semester off is a personal decision and may not necessarily impact your job prospects. However, it's important to consider how you will explain this period on your resume or in job interviews. If you can demonstrate how this experience has positively contributed to your personal growth and skills, it can actually make you a more well-rounded and desirable candidate.