Should You Apply for a PhD Track to Secure a Master's Admission?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Thert Gurt
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Suppose that I would like a master's in physics, but not a PhD, and consider a university that offers a funded master's program.
I understand that universities prefer to take PhD students rather that MS students (since one may squeeze more cheap research labor out of a 3+ year grad student than out of a 1 or 2 year grad student).
So...should I apply for a PhD track, to increase my chances of addmission?
I have no ethical concerns.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thert Gurt said:
Suppose that I would like a master's in physics, but not a PhD, and consider a university that offers a funded master's program.
I understand that universities prefer to take PhD students rather that MS students (since one may squeeze more cheap research labor out of a 3+ year grad student than out of a 1 or 2 year grad student).
So...should I apply for a PhD track, to increase my chances of addmission?
I have no ethical concerns.

It's not only squeeze labor. It also looks better on Professors' CVs, and is a requirement for them to move up the ladder from Assistant to Full Professor.
 
Thert Gurt said:
I have no ethical concerns.

Evidently not. It's not, however, something I would be proud of.

By doing this you will be depriving someone else of their chance to get a PhD, because you will be in their "slot". I don't think that's something PF should be encouraging.

Thread locked.