1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show a closed subset of a compact set is also compact

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if E is a closed subset of a compact set F, then E is also compact.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm pretty sure you refer back to the Heine-Borel theorem to do this.

"A subset of E of Rk is compact iff it is closed and bounded"

3. The attempt at a solution
    We are deal with metric spaces here. It should seem that I need to prove the same thing as in the second half of the Heine-Borel theorem. My textbook is proving Heine-Borel in a confusing way without clear statement/reason steps that I can apply to my problem.

-From the given information, E is in F
    -From the given information, every open cover of F has a finite subcover of F
    -From the given information, S \ E is open

...not sure where this leave me

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2
    The Heini-Borel theorem only applies to euclidean spaces. Use the definition of compact.

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need Heine-Borel for this. Take an open cover of E. If you add the open set S/E to that (S is the whole space, right?), then you have an open cover of F. Since F is compact... Can you continue?

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4
    I'm with you so far.....you declare O and open cover of E. Then you take the union of O and S \ E and get an open set. This unified open set has to cover all E and all not-E so it has to be an open cover for all of F.

So how does the compactness of F flow back down to E? (Clearly, I have no idea what I'm doing).

6. Oct 29, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since F is compact, there is a finite subcover. So that subcover also covers E. Now you don't need the S\E set to cover E. What's left is a finite subcover of the original cover that covers E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook