Show f is continuous if the range of f is a bounded interval

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the statement "if f: [a,b]→Re is increasing and the range of f is a bounded interval, then f is continuous." Some people suggest using the open set formulation of continuity, while others propose a proof by contradiction. However, it is pointed out that the statement may not be true, as the function f(x) = arctan(x) has a jump at x = 0. It is suggested to specify that f is continuous except for a finite number of jumps. There is also a discussion about the ambiguity of the terms "range" and "image" and how some prefer to use "image" and "codomain" for more uniform meanings.
bohregard

Homework Statement

Show that if f: [a,b]→[itex]Re[/itex] is increasing and the range of f is a bounded interval then f is continuous.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start, but I decided to start with a couple of things.

Proof: Let f: [a,b]→[itex]Re[/itex] increasing and the rg(f) be a bounded interval. Since f is increasing, there exists x,y[itex]\in[/itex][a,b] such that f(a)≤f(x)<f(y)≤f(b). Further, since [a,b] is a bounded interval, S={x|x[itex]\in[/itex][a,b]}, there's a sequence {xn} such that lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow b}[/itex] xn = f(b). Similarly for lim = f(a).

Now I'm not really sure where to go, or if I was even headed in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the open set formulation of continuity, then this problem is pretty simple. If you do not have that formulation of continuity, then fix [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] and suppose [itex]0 < \varepsilon[/itex]. Define [itex]\delta_1 = \sup\{y \in [x,b]: 0 \leq f(y)-f(x) < \varepsilon\}[/itex] and [itex]\delta_2 = \inf\{y \in [a,x]: 0 \leq f(x)-f(y) < \varepsilon\}[/itex]. You can show that both [itex]0 < \delta_1,\delta_2[/itex] using the fact that [itex]f([a,b])[/itex] is an interval. Then set [itex]\delta = \min\{\delta_1,\delta_2\}[/itex] and check that the [itex]\varepsilon,\delta[/itex] criterion holds. The argument when [itex]x = a[/itex] or [itex]x = b[/itex] is similar.

I think most people would probably do this proof by contradiction and I can walk you through that if you are more comfortable with that sort of proof.

This doesn't seem to be true to me.

For example, let
[tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases} \arctan(x), & \text{if } x\text{ \le 0} \\ \arctan(x) + 1, & \text{if } x\text{ > 0} \end{cases}
[/tex]

This is increasing on any interval [itex][a,b][/itex], isn't it? And the range of [itex]f[/itex] is [itex](-\pi/2, \pi/2 +1) [/itex], right? But it has a jump at [itex]0[/itex].BTW, if I'm wrong about this let me know. But, also, can someone tell me how to get the less than or equal symbol? I tried \le and \leq both to no avail.

Last edited:
Yes, I am quite sure that this is not true.

I think that it should be something like:

[itex]f[/itex] is continuous except for a finite number of jumps.

Then jgens solution could be applied to all non-jumps.

Using the example I did in my last post, the set [itex]\{y\in[0,b]:0\leq f(y) - f(0) < 1/2 \}[/itex] is empty.

Robert1986 said:
Yes, I am quite sure that this is not true.

I interpreted range(f) as image(f) since that is a fairly common convention (I think analysts use this terminology). With this convention the result is certainly true.

I agree that the use of range is ambiguous and that is why I do not use it. I prefer to use the terms image and codomain since the meanings of these terms is more uniform. Unfortunately not everyone agrees.

jgens said:
I interpreted range(f) as image(f) since that is a fairly common convention (I think analysts use this terminology). With this convention the result is certainly true.

I agree that the use of range is ambiguous and that is why I do not use it. I prefer to use the terms image and codomain since the meanings of these terms is more uniform. Unfortunately not everyone agrees.

Yeah, that makes sense, I'd say you're right about that. I interpreted it as "range(f) is a bounded subset of R". I think I interpreted it incorrectly.

1. What is the definition of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity in mathematics refers to a function being unbroken or uninterrupted over a given interval or domain. This means that the function must have a defined value at every point within the interval.

2. How is continuity related to bounded intervals?

A bounded interval is a specific type of interval in mathematics where the values of a function are limited or confined within a certain range. If the range of a function is a bounded interval, it means that the function is continuous within that interval.

3. Can a function be continuous if its range is not a bounded interval?

Yes, a function can still be continuous even if its range is not a bounded interval. For example, a function can be continuous over an unbounded interval such as the entire real number line.

4. What does it mean for a function to have a bounded range?

A bounded range means that the values of a function are limited or confined within a certain range. This means that the function will not have any "outliers" or values that are significantly larger or smaller than the other values in its range.

5. How can you determine if a function's range is a bounded interval?

To determine if a function's range is a bounded interval, you can graph the function or use mathematical techniques such as finding the maximum and minimum values of the function. If the function's values are limited or confined within a certain range, then its range is a bounded interval.