Show G is Abelian: Let G be a Finite Group w/ I

In summary, the problem states that if a finite group G has a subset of involutions I such that the cardinality of I is at least three-fourths the cardinality of G, then G is abelian. The set I consists of all elements of order 2 in G, and it is known that all elements in I and the identity element e commute. To prove that the entire group G is abelian, one must show that all elements in G commute. A possible approach is to consider an element a in I and prove that if ab=c and b and c are also in I, then b commutes with a. This would imply that the centralizer subgroup of a is equal to I, and therefore, G is ab
playa007

Homework Statement

Let G be a finite group and let I ={g in G: g^2 = e} \ {e} be its subset of involutions. Show that G is abelian if card(I) => (3/4)card(G).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to proceed with this problem and to make use of 3/4. I know that the set I is precisely the elements of order 2 in the group G and all elements within I U {e} commute; but I just don't know how to show the whole group commutes. Any help on how to proceed with the problem is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you a hint while I'm trying to figure this one out myself. You don't know that I commutes, do you? It's perfectly possible that a^2=e and b^2=e and ab is not equal to ba, isn't it? If you HAVE figured out how to prove {e} U I is commutative, then you would be done. That makes it a subgroup. Use Lagrange's theorem.

For future reference, I think I finally got this one. Consider an element a in I. Now look at the |G| equations aG=G. Show if ab=c and b and c are also in I, then b commutes with a. Count how many equations in aG=G are of that form and draw a conclusion about the size of the centralizer subgroup of a. The rest is an easy exercise. That was bothering me.

1. What does it mean for a group to be Abelian?

Being Abelian means that the group follows the commutative property, meaning that the order of operations does not affect the outcome of the group's operation. In other words, for any two elements a and b in the group, a * b = b * a.

2. How do you prove that a group is Abelian?

To prove that a group is Abelian, we need to show that for any two elements a and b in the group, a * b = b * a. This can be done by using the group's operation table and showing that the order of elements does not affect the outcome of the operation.

3. What is a finite group?

A finite group is a group with a finite number of elements. This means that there are a limited number of elements that can be used in the group's operation.

4. Why is it important to prove that a group is Abelian?

Proving that a group is Abelian can help simplify calculations and make it easier to understand the group's properties. It also allows us to apply specific theorems and techniques that only apply to Abelian groups.

5. Can a group be both Abelian and non-Abelian?

No, a group cannot be both Abelian and non-Abelian. A group either follows the commutative property, making it Abelian, or it does not, making it non-Abelian.