1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show integral is independent of time

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that [itex] u(x,t) [/itex] satisfies [itex] u_t-6uu_x+u_{xxx}=0 [/itex] (*) and [itex] u, u_x, u_{xx} \to 0 [/itex] as [itex] |x| \to \infty [/itex] show that

[itex] I_1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2dx [/itex]

is independent of time ([itex] \frac{\partial I_1}{\partial t}=0 [/itex]).

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess it would suffice to show that [itex] I_1 [/itex] is equal to some function of (only) [itex] x [/itex]. I can't think of a way to do this which involves the equation (*). My attempt so far has been to do some kind of substitution so that I integrate with respect to [itex] u [/itex] rather than [itex] x [/itex]. Something like

[itex] I_1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2dx = \int_{u(-\infty,t)}^{u(\infty, t)}u^2 \frac{dx}{du} du = \int_{0}^{0} \frac{u^2}{u_x} dx = 0 [/itex]

Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

That doesn't seem right to me. Use Leibniz integral rule for differentiating the derivative w.r.t. time and then use the differential equation for substitution.

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As "Shyan" has already suggested, you can show that ##I_1## is a constant by showing that ##dI_1/dt = 0##.

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4
    Thanks guys.

I've given your advice a go. So far I have used Leibniz integral rule and [itex] f=u^2 [/itex]:

[itex] \frac{\partial I_1}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x,t)dx) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial f}{\partial t} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} uu_tdx[/itex].

Where do I go from here?

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you forgetting that ##u## satisfies a partial differential equation? You have all the information you need; it is just a matter of applying it.

7. Dec 11, 2014 #6
    I thought about subbing in [itex] u_t=6uu_x-u_{xxx} [/itex] to get

[itex] 6\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_xdx-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}uu_{xxx}dx [/itex].

I can compute the first integral to get [itex] \frac{1}{3}u^3 [/itex] evaluated at [itex] -\infty [/itex] to [itex] \infty [/itex] (so that integral is equal to 0) but I can't do anything with the second integral. I had this problem last night but decided to sleep on it - unfortunately that didn't help!

8. Dec 11, 2014 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Integrate by parts!

9. Dec 11, 2014 #8
    Right, I got it thanks!

There's another part to the question, it's pretty much the same as part one but now for

[itex] I_2=\int_{-\infty)^{\infty}(u^3+\frac{1}{2}u_x^2)dx [/itex].

I got it down to

[itex] \frac{\partial I_2}{\partial t}=3\int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u^2u_tdx + \int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u_xu_{xt} [/itex].

Now subbing in [itex] u_t=6uu_x-u_{xxx} [/itex] and [itex] u_{tx}=6u_x^2+6u_{xx}-u_{xxxx} [/itex] gives a few difficult integrals to solve. I can do three of them but the other two I can't get past are

[itex] \int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex] and [itex] \int_{-\infty)^{\infty}u_x^3dx [/itex].

Have I made a mistake to get to this point? If not, are these integrals possible?

10. Dec 11, 2014 #9
    Right, I got it thanks!

There's another part to the question, it's pretty much the same as part one but now for

[itex] I_2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(u^3+\frac{1}{2}u_x^2)dx [/itex].

I got it down to

[itex] \frac{\partial I_2}{\partial t}=3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_xu_{xt} [/itex].

Now subbing in [itex] u_t=6uu_x-u_{xxx} [/itex] and [itex] u_{tx}=6u_x^2+6u_{xx}-u_{xxxx} [/itex] gives a few difficult integrals to solve. I can do three of them but the other two I can't get past are

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex] and [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_x^3dx [/itex].

Have I made a mistake to get to this point? If not, are these integrals possible?

11. Dec 11, 2014 #10

ShayanJ

Gold Member

That seems right. But you can also use [itex] u_{xt}=u_{tx} [/itex] and integrate by parts to eliminate the x derivative. Then substitute using the differential equation. But I'm stuck at the end too! My problem is I can't deal with [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u u_x u_{xx} dx [/itex]. If you prove this is zero, then its finished.

EDIT: I found it. There are two such integrals which cancel each other and give zero. This was nice!

12. Dec 11, 2014 #11
    I'm really sorry, I don't follow what you're saying. How is [itex] u_{xt} = u_{tx} [/itex] useful and what should be integrated by parts?

13. Dec 11, 2014 #12

ShayanJ

Gold Member

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u_x u_{tx}dx=-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} u_{xx} u_t dx [/itex].

14. Dec 11, 2014 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just wanted to point out that ##I_1## is actually a function of ##t## only. So, you shouldn't be using the partial derivative wrt ##t##.

You need to be careful to check what sort of function you have - especially when you're using condensed notation. It's often better to put the variable(s) in so that can see what you're doing:

[itex] I_1(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u(x, t)^2dx [/itex]

15. Dec 11, 2014 #14
    So far I have
    [itex] \frac{\partial I_2}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(u^3+\frac{1}{2}u_x^2)dx = 3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_xu_{xt} = 3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_tdx [/itex]

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_tdx = 18\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^3u_xdx-3\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex].

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_tdx= -6 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_xdx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u_{xx}u_{xxx}dx [/itex].

I can compute all of these integrals (to be 0) but not [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}u^2u_{xxx}dx [/itex]. If I can compute that integral then I'm done.

I didn't come across [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}uu_xu_{xx}dx [/itex] at all.

16. Dec 11, 2014 #15

ShayanJ

Gold Member

As PeroK noted, you should write [itex] \frac{dI_2}{dt} [/itex] because a definite integral on x of a function of x and t, is no more a function of x.
    Anyway, you did it wrong! [itex] u_{xx}u_x [/itex] should be [itex] u u_{xx} u_x [/itex]. And the term you can't evaluate, can be integrated by parts to give a similar term.

17. Dec 11, 2014 #16
    I've got it! Thanks so much for all of the help, I certainly needed it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted