1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show ring has no divisors of zero

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be a ring containing two or more elements such that for each nonzero a in R, there exists a unique b in R such that a=aba. Show that R contains no divisors of zero.

2. Relevant equations
    The ring axioms.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assumed that R contains divisors of zero. So assume there exist nonzero a,b in R such that ab=0. Then there exist unique c,d in R such that a=aca and b=bdb.

Consider the expression ca+bd.

If ca+bd=0, then multiplying on the left by a gives a=0 and multiplying on the right by b gives b=0.

So assume ca+bd is not equal to zero. Then there exists unique e in R such that
    ca+bd=(ca+bd)e(ca+bd).

Multiplying on the left by a gives a=aebd+aeca=ae(ca+bd).

Substituting this expression for a into a=aca gives
    a=aca=ae(ca+bd)ca.

From the uniqueness of c, e(ca+bd)c=c.

This is as far as I've gotten. I don't know if I have made any progress or am just going in circles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose a and c are zero divisors. Then ac=0. There is a UNIQUE b such that aba=a. What is a(b+c)a?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?