1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show something's a homomorphism

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1
    LetH= {expim*theta; theta in R}. Show thatthe map G -> H, exp(i*theta) |-> exp(im*theta) is a group homomorphismi if and only if m is an integer.

(=>) Assume G - > is a group homo s.t. phi(exp(I*theta)) = (exp(I*m*theta))

Consider exp(ix), exp(iy) in G

Since G is a homo,

phi(exp(ix)exp(iy)) = phi(exp(ix))phi(exp(iy)))
    phi(exp(i(x+y))) = phi(exp(ix))phi(exp(iy)))
    exp(im(x+y) =exp(imx)exp(imy)

Isthe m on the left equal to the m on the right? I don't think so, what's wrong here?

How do I show the converse?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way you've written it the m's must be the same. There is only one m kicking about the place.

You're attempting to show that raising z to z^m is a group homomorphism if and only if m is an integer (z in the complex circle |z|=1).

One way is obvious, and strangely it's the way you've not addressed: (wz)^m=w^mz^m 1^m=1 (if m is an integer, if it isn't then raising things to the fractional powers isn't necessarily well defined is it? i.e. do we pick 1 or -1 as the square root of 1? Hey, perhaps that idea will help with the other direction....)

So, for the direction you were writing. -1 is exp(1pi), -1 squared is 1, if m were 1/2, then (-1)^1/2 would'n't square to 1, would it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?