1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that (-1)^n * (n/(n+1)) is divergent

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using a proof by cases, show that (-1)^n * (n/(n+1)) is divergent

2. Relevant equations

A sequence a_n is said to be convergent if
    For every real number ε > 0, there exists a natural number N such that for all n > N, |a_n − L| < ε.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried to make n the next odd integer (2k+1) but struggled to go any further.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your expression is unclear (to me) ... is it supposed to be a summation? Is the n/(n+1) a factor or part of the exponent?

At a guess you mean the sum -1/2 + 2/3 - 3/4 + 4/5 ... starting with n=1.

Also I don't understand what you mean by "cases" ... what would the cases be?

4. Sep 10, 2013 #3
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The expression is a sequence starting from 1 through the Natural numbers. n/(n+1) is a factor not part of the exponent.
    The cases are
    L<0
    L=0
    L>0

Where L is the limit of the sequence.

5. Sep 10, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A sequence is a list of numbers {1,2,3,...}; it may have a limit point, but not a limit.

An infinite sum is defined to be the limit point of its sequence of partial sums; the infinite summation does not have a limit - it either has a value or is divergent.

So I don't understand what L is supposed to represent - though I do understand the case structure.

Please write out a few of the terms ... was my guess correct?

6. Sep 10, 2013 #5
    Your guess is correct but it is not a sum, just a sequence. I had a look around and found a similar question albeit slightly simpler: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=491938
    I'm struggling to emulate the techniques used in that thread.

7. Sep 10, 2013 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sequence is {-1/2, +2/3, -3/4, +4/5, ...} with an assumed limit point L.

Proof that this sequence diverges by the method of contradiction in three cases: limit point L assumed to by +,0,-.

Is that the problem?

8. Sep 10, 2013 #7
    Yes that is the problem, sorry it took so long to get across.

9. Sep 10, 2013 #8

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Sep 10, 2013 #9
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  11. Sep 10, 2013 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The sequence as described in the OP is clear to me.
    There was nothing in the OP that would lead someone to think that this was a problem about a series.
    ???
    It is quite common to talk about the limit of a sequence. For example, with the sequence {an}, where an = ##\frac{n}{n + 1}, \lim_{n \to \infty}a_n = 1##.

12. Sep 10, 2013 #11

Mark44

PhyzX, if you haven't already done so, look at the first five or six terms in your sequence. The terms jump around, due to the (-1)n factor.

13. Sep 10, 2013 #12
    Hey, yeah I've noticed that. The sequence converges to both 1 and -1 if I'm not mistaken? However I am told to use the method of finding suitable epsilon and N in each case to produce counter examples. So I cant use subsequences and such to show that it converges twice.
    However I think I've got it now.

After I substitute a value for n, say the first even integer greater than N, (n=2k), I'm left with something like | (2k)/(2k+1) - L | and since k is greater than 1, I can manipulate the terms to show that it is bigger than say ε=1/4

14. Sep 10, 2013 #13

Mark44

No, that's not right. If a sequence converges, it can converge to only one value. It can't converge to both 1 and -1. Your sequence has a subsequence that converges to 1 and another that converges to -1, but the sequence itself doesn't converge.
    Keep in mind that when N is large, the terms in your sequence are bouncing around between numbers that are close to 1 and -1. When one term in your sequence is close to +1, the next term is going to be almost 2 units away, near -1. Similarly, when one term in the sequence is near -1, the next term will be again almost 2 units away, near +1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted