1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that both [itex]Y\cup A[/itex] and [itex]Y\cup B[/itex]

1. Aug 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex]Y\subset X[/itex] and [itex]X,Y[/itex] are connected and [itex]A,B[/itex] form separation for [itex]X-Y[/itex] then, Prove that [itex]Y\cup A[/itex] and [itex]Y\cup B[/itex] are connected.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can show easily that at least one of [itex]Y\cup A[/itex] or [itex]Y\cup B[/itex] is connected. but I don't know how to show the required

Any hints?

Here are some facts that I know about connectdness that may be helpful.

?.png

As a way to proceed, we can suppose that There is a seperation [itex]C \cup D[/itex] of,say, [itex]Y\cup A[/itex] So it's clear that [itex]Y [/itex] included in either [itex]C[/itex] or [itex]D[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd say that's good start, and you can choose C to be the one containing Y.
    Maybe you can now show that D, BUC form a separation of X? Or something like that.

4. Aug 26, 2014 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes that is how I would start. Let's call C the part that includes Y.
    Next we can use the lemma (1.1 on page 47 of my very old edition of 'Topology - a first course' by Munkres) that if two sets form a separation then neither contains any limit points of the other, So C contains no limit points of D, and also B contains no limit points of D because ##D\subset A## and A,B is a separation of X-Y.

But then ##D, C\cup B## is a separation of ##X## because
    ##\{x\vert x## is a limit point of ##C\cup B\}\subset \{x\vert x## is a limit point of ##C\}\cup\{x\vert x## is a limit point of ##B\}\subset X-D##

Since ##X## is connected we conclude that there can be no separation ##C,D##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted